Zero Water = RO/DI?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
I'm a freshwater guy who's always had an interest in marine and I'm doing my homework leading up to starting a salty tank in about 6-12 months. My question is, I'm learning about using RO/DI filters for marine water rather than tap. Is a Zero Water filter similar? If not, is there a cheaper alternative than a $150+ setup that I may not even be able to use (live in an apartment)? All advice welcome, Thanks!

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
Think them zero water filters are just DI filters and well be used up fast depending how hard your tap water is

With RO/DI filters the RO well bring the water down to 3-5 ppm and then the DI side well drop it down to 0 ppm

IF you used a DI filter only and say your tap water was 150 ppm the DI resin would be used up kinda fast and you would have to keep recharging it costing you money

RO/DI filters are water pigs for every 1 Gal. of pure water your using 3-4 Gals to make it depending on water pressure, higher the pressure better the efficiency

have a look at the link to see the filter life

http://ww2.zerowater.com/tds_chart/

Last edited:

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
^ Yep.

Basically a DI filter. They are expected to filter 20-30 gallons before needing replacement. They seem cheap but it adds up fast. In the long run a RO/DI unit would be cheaper. Or buying water from a LFS.

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
Ok, I thought the RO took out the dissolved solids and the DI just changed the ionization. The startup for the Zero Water would $35 and then $15 for new filters. For an actual RO/DI it's something like $150+ startup and $50 for replacement filters. If it's the same quality water, the cheapo looks pretty good. Am I missing something? Anybody got a better idea?

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
From what I understand of it, that is what a DI unit does. It can effectively purify the water on its own but it will be used up very quickly. The RO part is to clean up the water as much as possible before hitting the DI so that the lifespan is maximized. Effectively it is the more efficient way to do it.

The Zero Water system, say you get 30 gallons out of a cartridge. You divide that by the cost of a replacement cartridge, which appears to be around $15. So $0.50 per gallon of water. And that is assuming you have average water. I'm not sure what a RO/DI unit averages out to be but I'm pretty sure it is much cheaper then that. LFS RO water around here tends to be $0.35 - $0.50.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
You get alot of water out of the rodi filters, how often you need to replace really depends on the quality of the water out of your tap. Heres a basic 5 stage filter refill pack for $32 http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/5-stage-standard-replacement-filter-kit.html I've made a ton of water before having to change the sediment filter which is just a few dollars by itself. Carbon about once a year. DI Resin even longer. If you have crappy water you may have to do the sediment more often and the carbon after 6 months.

Jody

AC Members
Jul 28, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
I am at 2 years on my same RO membrane as for the filters they are 30-40 bucks to change, I can go 1 year until i change them not sure how much water i have made but i use RO water in all my tanks and i have 14 of them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store