So I went to my LFS...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GBBryant

AC Members
Apr 6, 2012
Gainesville, Fla
and I have decided that my next big thing is not going to be a freshwater planted like I planned... I am definitely considering saltwater as my next thing (CURSE YOU MTS!!!!)... Any suggestions on tank size, filtration, fish that won't die easy, ect... I'm thinking FOWLR, but as I get more coomfortable with saltwater, I'll be switching to a full reef setup.

Money is not an object. Right now, all of this is planning and adding change to the fish jar. The tank itself won't happen for a couple years yet. I am living in a small apartment and that won't change, so the stuff can't be ridiculously huge.

Any advice?

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
A 90 gallon tank makes a really sweet tank size. I would go with the largest possible sump filter you can squeeze under whatever tank you go with or an Ocean Clear Canister system.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
The bigger the tank the better for you and the fish, if you plan to go reef but start fowlr may as well buy the good lights up front instead of having to shell out more money later. Sump & Fuge make life easier. Won't go into any other details naming specific equipment if its not going to happen for a year or two new and better items may come along.

GBBryant

AC Members
Apr 6, 2012
Gainesville, Fla
...What's a fuge?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
A place where you can grow algae that takes up nutrients (phosphates, nitrates, etc) that would other wise cause issues in the display and/or a safe area where live foods (copepods, etc) can multiply without being decimated by fish and other predators.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
As someone who sets up tanks for a living I would suggest you avoid using the phrase "money is no option" unless you really mean it! But if you do here's some good advice. Determine where you want the tank to go, measure the space and buy the largest tank that fits in it. Larger is always more stable and forgiving, particularly in the case of SW.

GBBryant

AC Members
Apr 6, 2012
Gainesville, Fla
As someone who sets up tanks for a living I would suggest you avoid using the phrase "money is no option" unless you really mean it! But if you do here's some good advice. Determine where you want the tank to go, measure the space and buy the largest tank that fits in it. Larger is always more stable and forgiving, particularly in the case of SW.
Thank you for the advice, but money is no option. If I'm doing this, I'm doing it right. This is going to be my big savings project for the next couple years and then I'll be setting up the tank. I'll be able to afford it.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
You're in a great position then. Building anything requires you start with a solid foundation. Get that big tank!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store