Nem's that host Maroon clowns for a nem beginner?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'm trying to help a coworker out she has a 75g med light, med flow tank thats been up since black friday. She has 2 maroon clowns and wants to add a nem, my clown knowledge is limited to percula/oscellaris.. Google tells me that they naturally host in bubble tips and long tentacle, don't think her lighting is upto a BTA, but maybe LTA? Must be some other nem's that maroons frequently host in in captivity no? Her lighting is x4 54w T5's, still the stock bulbs I think which are probably coralife x2 10000k or 12000k and 2 actinic's.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If she upgrades the bulbs she could keep a BTA no problem and that would be the best route due to experience and the fact thta BTAs are the natural host. Still not an easy animal but a fair amount easier than a LTA or a malu and a heck of a lot easier than a magnifica or carpet.

Have your friend read this... http://www.wifeofnerd.com/images/AnemoneFAQ.pdf and then suggest that she allow her tank to mature a month or two more while she researches more about nems and getting her tank ready for one (upgrade at least a couple of bulbs, "nem-proof" the tank, etc). This would also be a good time to maybe ask a LFS to hold a nem for her so she is confident the nem she gets is healthy.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Thanks will pass the guide on. I'll suggest she replaces her actnic's with the newer ATI bulbs. If she goes BTA then I can help her I have experience there, could actually sell her one of my RBTA's.

CPE: I think she may already have some frogspawn in her tank.

dolfans1

I'm a victim of coicumstance!
Jun 15, 2005
Safety Harbor, FL
My maroon clowns will host in just about anything, including the side of the overflows. I used to have a sebae anemone that they hosted in, now I have a BTA that they try to host in, but it's too small. It's too bad she has maroon clowns; they are the most aggressive and ornery of the clowns. Adding things like new corals becomes a challenge, because they (well, the female at least) will try to move anything new that isn't to their liking. If I had to do things over I would have gotten a different type of clown.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store