does T5HO lights have enough intensity for 22" deep tanks?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

unseenone00

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Nick
I'll say now it might just be my reflectors/ballast...

So my 72 bow front is 22" tall, with the fixture sitting about 4" off the top. I have an Odyssea quad t5ho fixture with current usa 10,000k bulbs and a zoomed red bulb. I have some plants that are supposed to have some color; orange/red. But they didn't show unless the plants were within like 5" of the surface. Until I added a 36" TrueLumen pro led strip to the bottom of the fixture, now they get some red (not perfect but definitely noticable)

Looking at those other photos across the web at other 48" tanks they have brilliant colors in their leaves. I noticed that the ones with T5HO lights were at most like 18" I believe. If they were taller they had been using MH fixtures. I also noticed with reds they seem to be in the back of the tank, looking like they are raised 3-7" off the bottom of the tank by substrate.

Has anyone had any luck with good red coloration of a plant in a deep tank? Share the light setups with your red plants so we can all compare!

My co2 and ferts are at decent levels.

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
24" deep and dense planting and 96W over 1 meter away from the plants at the bottom from the bulb.
Plenty of light.

unseenone00

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Nick
Awesome tank! 60g cube? And what light is that?
Also great looking rocks, where'd they come from?
And there is too much pearling, kinda breaks the picture, lol!

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
The difference is the quality of the light your using. Odyssea is a decent starter brand but they dont have near the quality in ballasts and reflectors as other companies like Catalina lights or Tek or other high quality higher dollar manufactures. Not sure but you will also want to check what light range you want to be in. If you get into high light you will be more then likely needing to do pressurized Co2 and if your not yet, Should be giving the plants Macro and Micro nutrients via fert dosing. Some plants will even like some root tabs.

But for light the quality of light you get makes alot of difference.

unseenone00

AC Members
Sep 30, 2011
Maryland
Real Name
Nick
Yeah, I have pressurized CO2 and dry ferts in a EI method right now.

The Odyssea light fixture with the different brand bulbs right now are definitely appealing to the eyes, but I do understand that it is crap for the plants. The single 36" Current USA TrueLumen Pro Led Strip I drilled onto the fixture is really helping the red/orange colors in my plants. I think I will buy another strip for the back end of the fixture, plus I was reading that some people add reflectors to these strips and it helps a lot. So I will look more into that as well. But also I was thinking of raising up the back end of the tank with more substrate so I could add a rock ledge down to a microsword carpet. (Having trouble finding which rocks to use!!!)

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
While reflectors can help some the true initial power output from a light comes from its Ballast. Thats the other weak spot of cheaper lighting.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store