Teeny Tiny Cory Condoms?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

grapenut

AC Members
Nov 12, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I have accidentally created breeding conditions in my 55 gallon, heavily planted tank and my 5 cories have decided to multiply. The first time was totally cute and I love my 8 cory babies but during routine maintenance today I noticed at least two new babies. If this keeps up they are going to overload my tank.

Any tips on stemming the debauchery?

grapenut

AC Members
Nov 12, 2010
Nope - I have three clown loaches, a rainbow shark, a common pleco, ten neon tetra, and two clown plecos.
There are five parent cories, eight adolescent cories and at least two babies.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
LOL. Well...not much you can do. I say let them have at it! :D Just take extra babies into your LFS and trade or ask for store credit. It's nice to get some free fish, plants or food. LFS's will do a trade or store credit far quicker than cash. Or offer them for price of shipping here on AC! :D

What kind of cory's are they?

BTW..and totally OT- When I read your post title "Teeny Tiny Condoms" and your id name....the combination made me giggle. :uhoh:

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
well not even related but the rainbow shark is too aggressive for the corys, the common pleco gets too big, and the clown loaches get wayyyyyyy to big. i really dont know how any fry are surviving, when my corys breed the spistos went around following them waiting for them to lay eggs.

grapenut

AC Members
Nov 12, 2010
We've not had a problem with the rainbow being too aggressive. He's pretty mellow. We've got plenty of separated territories for everyone so there are no chases, no nipped fins, and no intimidation. It is a well-monitored, very peaceful tank.
We know that the Pleco will need a bigger tank eventually and we know the same about the Clown Loaches. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.
For now, I am looking for suggestions on dealing with the babies. I will look into trading them with a LFS, thanks mykidsmylife. Catching them is going to be near impossible :)

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
use two nets. much easier to catch fish using 2 nets, one being a little smaller that you chase them into the bigger net.

grapenut

AC Members
Nov 12, 2010
More concerned about the plants, actually - they hide in the ground cover and java moss when the dreaded nets appear out of the sky.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store