Overwhelmed salt water noob.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cathan

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Burbank California
I've been doing research or a month and actually plan to study the saltwater hobby more. Unfortunately, my step dad went on a loom and bought a aquarium for me in a garage sale. ( no leaks, filled with water for an hour to check, not came with stand and rocks, was originally freshwater I believe, all dried out, for 55$) I don't even know the dimensions and gallon size as he is bringing it home today as a surprise. ( he ought it two weeks ago and did constant water tests and fixes). I'm not even ready or feel ready. I feel as f one month is too short of a time to know the basics. I don't even understand the whole sump/fuge ( explain please ). We gave a max cape of around $1,500 to spend n equipment. He told me that do I'm guessing it's quite a big aquarium.

Help me learn months of researching in a few days :/

Mostly this sump/fuge. Do I really need it and how do I do it etc.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
A sump/fuge is basically a separate system that is linked to your tank for filtration purposes. In simple terms, think of it like a giant filter. You can make one of out a HOB filter (like an Aquaclear, Penguin, etc.), canister or even another fish tank. Since saltwater tank have a bit more large pieces of equipment in them, many go with using another fish tank. Freshwater tanks tend to go with the HOB filter or canister approach (although bigger tanks do use sumps within freshwater also).

The difference between a sump and a fuge is the approach they take. A sump tends to revolve around equipment and mechanical filtration. They have baffles set up (basically partitions that control water flow and height) to maintain the equipment. A refugium revolves around macro-algae and forming a natural filter. Most people either go with the sump or a combination of sump/fuge.

The classical way to set them up to place a smaller tank under the stand of the display tank. The display tank then drains into the smaller tank, which contains a pump that pushes water back up into the display tank.

For a visual...

My setup is a full refugium, rather then a sump, but the layout would be the same either way.

Cathan

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Burbank California
Is their specific equippment needed for a sump? Like any good pumps to bring water out of the main tank into the sump and from the sump to the main tank?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Common found equipment in a sump is protein skimmers, reactors, heater, and of course the various other media you choose to use for filtration. Incoming water either comes in from drilled holes in the displaytank or an overflow box if it isn't drilled for plumbing.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
BTW if it was freshwater pretty decent chance the included rocks won't be to good for saltwater, but post pic's when you do have them so we can tell. Also one of the first pieces of equipment you'll want to look into getting is a RODI filter unit.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Overflow box is for those who don't want to drill through the glass of the tank, it hangs onto the back of your tank similar to a convential HOB filter siphoning out the water to transport it to your sump/fuge.

Cathan

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Burbank California
Well, I'll post pics when it gets here. I hope everything looks nice. Them live rock sounds expensive after like 60 pounds lol. I am also planning on using the play sand from lowes or should I use the live sand?

Cathan

AC Members
Apr 3, 2012
Burbank California
I've always thought of argonite as a black color. Who knew (me)! I'll plan on using that.

Gosh,this is stressful. Soon the tank will come. In the future, I want those firefish :)

My lfs doesn't sell a lot of live/dead rock. I don't even think they have 20 pounds :l

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store