Few questions about water.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mbd521

AC Members
Jan 23, 2009
Akron Ohio
I am slowly setting up a FOWLR tank and it will be my.first adventure into saltwater. I know that high quality RO/DI water is a must, but I live in an apartment and Im not.sure that I can install an RO/DI filter, but I have a friend that is willing to let me use his. So I guess my first question is how easy is it to install and remove and RO/DI filter? Are some easier than others?

My second question is regarding doing the initial fill. Can I do the initial fill will dechlorinated tap water? It will be a huge pain for me to lug around 50 + gals of water to fill it. I don't plan on being able to stock it for atleast a month or two while letting it cycle( fishless) and saving the money for the live rock that I will be needing. I think that doing so will help the aquarium set up and will also help me get used to mixing water and making sure that I am getting my parameters correct before introducing livestock and live rock...
If it isn't really a good idea can I Atleast use dechlorinated tap water to wash the aragonite sand? I'd rather not be wasteful of that precious RO/DI water.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses!

Brett

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
You'll be fine with the tap water on the initial fill and through cycling. TBH, depending on the quality of your tap water, RODI water isn't a 'must have' with a FOWLR.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Alot of RODI's come with a few hook up options the under the counter tapping into the pipes, a hose spigot hookup or temporary faucet hookup that you can disconnect after making your water. Those that don't come with the adapters you can pick them up online or at home depot.

Slappy is right its not NEEDED but I'd highly recommend it unless you have awesome city water you'll likely face many algae battles. Initial fill up doesn't matter much if its tap or rodi though cycling with either your going to see some algae bloomage, probably a bit more with tap though.

Some sand you don't need to rinse, I've used a couple different caribsea's and just dumped it in the tank and added water no clouds.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
My initial fill with my first SW was tap to start the cycle. Many people hook their RO/DI up to the tap then store in a closet when not in use. If using dry sand, yes you can rinse with tap water. If you are using live sand you shouldn't need to rinse it.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
My initial fill for my 90 gal was just what you said, tap water dechlorinated using prime. I believe we have "average" water quality in my area. I didnt have a RO DI unit at the time and I was not prepared to lug 90 gals of water from anywhere to my house. Once I started adding live stock about 1 month in, I used only RO DI water though. My live stock(including a couple of corals) seems pretty happy at the moment-for the most part, my brain is finicky these days but I think its a completely unrelated problem), havn't run into many problems besides a small algea bloom here and there.

So I would go ahead and use the dechlorinated tap water for the initial fill.

As for the unit, like everyone else said its really easy to set up. Most of them have adapters and such that you can fit onto the intake to setup with a sink or a laundry line or something. As for removing it, I would say the ease depends on how big the unit is. I have a 4 stage unit and to me, its just hassle to disconnect it from my laundry line and then pick it up(it gets a bit heavy since there's water in it after you use it) and hide it somewhere in a cabinet or something. So I just leave it on my laundry countertop next to the sink. It might not be so bad if you have a smaller unit like a 2 stage or something.

mbd521

AC Members
Jan 23, 2009
Akron Ohio
awesome guys! thanks alot for the advice! I really didnt want to lug around that much water! Thats a big load off my shoulder and means i should be able to set up even soon now! :clap: yeah!! it was great info on the RO/DI units also! anotherbig relief.. for somereason i thought they were pretty much a permanent thing that hooked up under your sink. I have actually watched the video describing the BRS units and think I will probably go ahead and get one eventually! Again Thanks for the comments and advice!
Brett

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store