30 gallon SW questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Can I place a sump? What do I need and about how much for a FOWLR tank? Any suggestions for a SW beiginer, does anything from FW carry over to SW?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
You can put a sump on any size tank. You'd need to either drill and plumb the tank for the sump or get an overflow box. You would need a couple bags of argonite sand($15-$25 for 1 20lbs bags) Some rock dry rock online runs around $2.xx pound some places online offer free shipping when you get 20lbs+ LFS dry rock price in my area is $3.99 per pound. Salt mix $40-50 for 200 gallons worth, Lighting type doesn't really matter if your not planning to stock anything besides fish. Most SW fish like some water movement so 1 or 2 circulation pumps @ $20-$30ea. SW tests around $50ish, refractometer $30-40,Then your usual stuff heater, thermometer etc. Additional pump if your doing a sump, additional tank if its DIY sump along with some pieces of glass or acrylic for baffles, media, additional light if your going to do a sump/fuge combo.

Any idea on what you want to stock in the tank?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
You'll want a sump/fuge to sustain a copepod population for a manderin. Hydrometers are pretty inaccurate and can be off a few points, refractometer is more precise. The $20 test kit only contains ph, nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia tests, need additional tests for calcium, kh, phosphates.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
Mandarins are tough to get eating frozen or prepared foods. They will decimate a pod population very quickly then starve to death. I agree you will want a sump to have a safe place for pods to grow and breed.

Even without wanting a mandarin, you could do a SW tank with out a sump, however I would never consider it a waste of time. The advantages of having a sump are to numerous.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store