hair algae eating fish for 20g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mack606

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
Vancouver, Canada eh
Visit site
I do a 30% water change/gravel cleaning at least once a week, I try not to overfeed, and my 20g tank isn't overstocked. However I still get tons of hair algae. I have noticed that ottos, snails and small plecos don't really eat it because it is too hard to suck off. SAEs would out grow my tank quickly. Is there any fish that eats hair algae and is suitable for my 20g community tank? :confused:

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
What kind of fish do you have in there? I assume you're raising live plants? If you are, what type of lighting do you have on there? What sort of nurtrient (if any) dosing are you doing? Do you inject CO2?

-Richer

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Regardless of what kind of algae eating fish/creature we suggest for you to get, none of them can fight an algae outbreak... unless you also address the problems that are causing the oubreak. The only way to effectly get rid of algae is to stop it from ever happening. Though herbivores generally don't produce as much waste as other fish, they still produce waste... and will add to your bioload. If you can solve your algae problem without the addition of more fish, all the better.

-Richer

mack606

AC Members
Feb 15, 2004
Vancouver, Canada eh
Visit site
sorry, I should have given more detail,

I have 3 corys, 2 dwarf gouramis, an otto and a snail. I have many hornwort plants (i think thats wut its called) going accross the back of my tank to give it a natural looking background. I have 2 16w florecent coil bulbs (they aren't full spectrum) and my tank is in a room with a giant window unfortunatly. It gets no direct sunlight but its always pretty bright in the day time. I'm not adding any nuitrients. Im not sure what C02 injection is but I do add carbon to my filter media if thats at all related.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Amano is pronounced as it looks... if that doesn't work, try Caridina Japonica. Its not exactly the easiest shrimp to find, but they are cool little buggers. You need a large bunch of them before they'll make any differences in a tank.

However, if you do not solve the source of your algae problem, you will never rid yourself of the hair algae that has established itself in your tank. Seeing how your tank is located near a large window, and undoubtly receives a lot of light... that is most likely your problem. If you can shade your tank from the window that will help. If you cannot do that... then it looks like you may have to resort to converting your plant tank into a hightech one. Look up CO2 injection, and nutrient dosing in the plant forum if that is what you want to do.

HTH
-Richer

Ger

AC Members
Jan 14, 2003
Westerly, RI USA
Visit site
I have an SAE in a 15, and it enjoys eating hair algae. If you are able to find one small enough (< 3 inches) I'd get one. I've had mine for over a year and it's fat and happy. I'm more concerned about having way too many plants in the tank than the actual dimensions. If you're tank is a 'long' and not a 'high' I'd be even less concerned about it outgrowing it in the short term.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store