Dueling Bushynose.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Okay, here is my situation. I have had a male albino bushynose in my 125g planted tank for about 4 years. At the end of January of this year I added another bushynose male. Since then, they fight several times a week (that I see). There is plenty of places to hide, several "cave" area's, lots of driftwood, but the moment one catches the sight of the other a fight breaks out. The fight itself is really interesting behavior. They will line up nose to tail, then back up and viciously lock their gill plates to each other and thrash around. The even uproot plants and have knocked over a small piece of driftwood in the tank.
Here is the questions: Can they seriously harm each other? I look at them closely after a fight and never have noticed any damage around the gill plates or anywhere else on their bodies. I was hoping 4 months later they would have settled down since there is a big 6ft. by 18" foot print for them and plenty of territory for them to stake out as their own. :irked: Has anyone had experience with this?
Would you re-home the new guy? I worry about just the stress of the fights with each other causing other issues with them. I guess I know what I need to do, I am just wanting some one to affirm it.

Thanks all!

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Thank you for such a quick reply. I guess I should have stated that the first thing I did do was re-arrange the rock work and some of the driftwood in hopes that it would help with a cease fire. The primary aggressor is also the 2nd fish that was added, so I was thinking he may just need to find something that is his "own". I did another re-arrange in the tank last Thursday with hopes that would help..nope. I even make sure to feed my fresh food for them in two opposite ends of the tank to try to keep them from fighting over the same piece of zuch...doesn't work. It's like whenever the brown one sees the albino he just goes nuts and a fight ensues. They are quick and don't last long, but worried they will do major harm to each other or harm another fish in the tank while fighting.

I think I will give him to my friend with a large tank if she will take him. The only other tanks in my house are 2 10g and the kids 5g betta tanks which are far from appropriate for him.

napsterninja

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
I have too seen battles. Never loss any. I have 7 males and 7 females in a 55gal. Maybe adding a couple of females could help. Or get worse.

chickenlady

AC Members
Dec 28, 2009
I have 3 males and 6 or 7 females in a 75 gal. Lots of caves, but sems like the girls always go to one cave, so my dominate male owns that prime piece of real estate, lol. He is ALWAYS defending it against the other 2 males, and have seen what looked to me to be viscious fights. But at the end, they came away with only their feelings hurt.

MisaHasTheEyes

AC Members
Nov 21, 2008
I know it is not the same fish, but until this week I had about 9 adult hoplos and apparently breeding season, for the first time ever, hit. This is a bad thing, because all of the large fish are (or were) males. And hoplos get territorial when it's this season. I lost two within three days, and the others are all badly beaten with even the largest victor with smashed in plates. And these are hoplos, generally nice and tolerant and not aggressive. I would imagine bristlenose can and will kill each other, especially if hoplos can.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Thank you all for the replies. I think I will simply re-home the primary aggressor. I also have three wee L400 juvenile plecs in there with them and would be extremely upset if one of them were to be injured during their battles or if one of the bushy nose were to be seriously injured.

So...... Free brown male bushy nose adult for pick up in east central Indiana. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
How far are you from Chicago? He could come chill in my 75 gallon with the goldies, and either stay there- or move with them to the 125. The back of the buddha head in my tank is hollow, and makes a little cave. I could maybe talk the hubby into making the trip out to pick him up with me! Where are you at? :D

IOtherwise, if the LFS you got him at, or anyone local, has any known females, maybe you could trade him in?

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Lol. I'm about 4 hours from Chicago. Half way between Indianapolis and Ft. Wayne outside of an itty bitty one traffic light town named Fairmount. Our great claim to fame is James Dean was born and raised here.

I'm sure he would love your tank but with the price of gas it would hardly be prudent. I have a friend with a 125 and another friend with a 220. I'm raising up some juvenile angelfish for their tanks (they have bigger fish with bigger mouths. Lol) so I think I will just take him to one of them with the angels this week as a *bonus*.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
Sounds perfect! Yep- it would be a little too far for me, but, sounds like you have a better plan, anyways! I am sure he will be happy in his new home. :)

Also, I heart James Dean! LOL.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store