Ph question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sithlord

AC Members
Apr 8, 2012
I am starting a new tank. I just have my saltwater and base rock currently and was going to add live rock tomorrow to seed and then start cycling process. I tested my parameters just to make sure I have a good baseline to start. My ph is coming in at 8.0. Is this normal? The kit says I should have 8.2-8.4 Should I buy some buffer?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Aragonite based sand would help buffer your ph, it would be a much better choice than play sand. Is it took late to change it out?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
Ok so nothing beneficial just yet. If you add sand make sure you rinse it first. Slowly rinse it then gently lower a cup full to the desired location so it won't cloud to bad. There are also buffers you could add though I've never used them so I couldn't help you there

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Ok so nothing beneficial just yet. If you add sand make sure you rinse it first. Slowly rinse it then gently lower a cup full to the desired location so it won't cloud to bad. There are also buffers you could add though I've never used them so I couldn't help you there

An easy way to add sand is get an appropriate length PVC pipe, put a funnel on the end of it, place the end of the PVC where you want the new sand to go and dump it in directly on the sand bed.

Personally i would put the water in a trash can or two, put the rock in too. Scoop out all the sand, and add some caribsea Fiji pink or something similar.

It's some work for sure but it's better to do it right now, than have issues down the road when it won't be nearly as easy to change it.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
That ph seems fine.

Basically with a silica-sand bed you'll be treating your parameters like you have a bare-bottom tank. Personally I think you'll have more of an issue with water flow with that sand, rather the buffering or anything else. Play sand doesn't like water flow a whole lot. And saltwater tanks can get pretty high in flow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store