Who is beating my hoplos? Answer: My hoplos!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MisaHasTheEyes

AC Members
Nov 21, 2008
Time: A few days ago.

So I have some hoplo littorale in my 90 gallon tank, with some bristlenose plecos, assassin snails, bronze cories, Congo tetras, and a lone tatia intermedia. And I've been feeding some new Repashy foods and doing more water changes since there are times I overfeed.

And I come home today to find three of my hoplos looking like the cat got them (which didn't happen as all the fish are still in the tank, etc). One has a bent pec fin spine and is missing the flesh on it. Another has a large gash on the side, looks like he got skinned on the armor plates, and the last has some whiskers that look chewed on and some gashes on the side too.

There is nothing else in the tank save for what I listed above and I can't think of anything but the hoplos that could do this damage to each other.

Is this a males fighting deal? With the higher protein food (they are getting the meat pie diet of Repashy) and higher temps with summer approaching, am I going to be dealing with this for a while?

Do hoplos really go all out come breeding season? I've never seen this before.

Time: Today

Answer: Yes, it is the hoplos! Since seeing the damage, within two days I've lost two fish, and the others are still alive and being Melafix'd to heck and back. I do believe it's the Repashy foods that triggered the breeding season for them.

Has anyone else ever seen anything like this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store