First Saltwater TANK!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kakashi

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Chico CA
Real Name
Bryan
Hi i've been running my own planted freshwaters setups for about 6 or 7 years now and I want to start my first saltwater tank. I have been doing a lot of research and I want to do a smaller reef setup to start with and was wondering if this cutom setup on craigs was a good buy? (http://chico.craigslist.org/for/2958875786.html)

Im open to any suggestions as to what corals etc... to start off with. I think for stocking I have to start with a clown, one of my favorite saltwater fish. Also was needing info on which fish species and how many I could stock in a setup like that one above. Is it better for a smaller tank like that to just get two clown fish as a pair and work on the reef? I really like some of the goby and saltwater shrimp I have been seeing as well.

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
I've also just started a SW tank and even though I want to add corals and anemones I have to wait like 6 months til I can add corals ad a year til I can add anemones. Start off with a FOWLR tank and go from there, you will get there eventually

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Kakashi

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Chico CA
Real Name
Bryan
Ya, I actually have a buddy who said he would give me 40 lbs of live rock to start with and a BUNCH of live sand. He also said he wanted to rehome 3 to 4 of his clowns so I might have my tank fully stocked for FREE, couldn't be any happier. What kind of stocking would you recommend for a newbie and a tank like that? I have no troubles doing weekly water changes.....its been my routine for the last 6 years. I am looking for my SW to be a little less maintenance though, as I am starting a new job in a few months that may occupy A LOT of my time.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
$225 is a good deal for that and I might offer $300 and get the nano pack with the Tunze 9002 skimmer off of him as well. You probably won't want to use the filter part of the nano pack but the 9002 is about the best nano skimmer out there and with only a 10 gallon sump, you will be hard pressed to fit many other good skimmers in there. Also, if the Tunze won't fit in the sump, it is very small and will not take up much room in the tank. Tek T5 lights are some of the best out there (along with ATI). Ask the owner how old the bulbs are. If they are 12+ months, you'll want to replace them. The lighting will allow you to keep anything you want in terms of corals, anemones, clams, etc. You'll need some powerheads for flow as well. How many and size will depend on what you intend to keep in the tank.

Clowns are fine but only a maximum of 2 (the 3rd will be killed eventually). Lots of other options but I would cut it off around 4 small fish total in that size tank.

No reason to wait 6-months for corals. Its a good idea to wait 6+ months before adding nems but not corals. IMO/IME, corals are easier to keep than fish unless you completely neglect a tank and forgoe water changes. In a tank that size, weekly water changes with a good reef salt should be fine to keep major element paramters in check without the need to dose anything.

FPiX

AC Members
Apr 18, 2009
I agree with greech. I dropped in some easy corals within the first month like a patch of gsp, Kenya tree and some zoos and mushrooms. They grow like wildfire. As the months went by an the tank sort of stabilize itself I added the more stony types.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
same here. my 8 gallon is 8 months old and i have gsp, zoas, shrooms, candy canes, a frogspawn, pulsing xenia, kenya tree, lobo brain, birdsnest and a maxi mini nem (if you count it as coral) all is happy and the only thing ive ever lost was a single head of candy cane my frogspawn stung good.

Kakashi

AC Members
Mar 24, 2012
Chico CA
Real Name
Bryan
Cool thanks for the information, I mean I didn't mind waiting 6 months...but I must admit I was a little bummed when I read that, only because the main reason I wanted the tank was for coral, and the two clowns. Good to know, we have a great locally owned FS with some amazing coral for a good price.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store