Stocking list for my 55 gal.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mbd521

AC Members
Jan 23, 2009
Akron Ohio
OK, so this is going to be my first adventure in saltwater! I'm really excited and want to get as much info as i can before i start! Going with FOWLR.... just so everyone know I have not even put water in the tank yet. just trying to get prepared.

First I will start with how i plan on creating an enriching enviroment!
Right now I have
1. 60 lbs of aragonite sugar fine sand.
2. emperor 350 HOB filter
3. heater 200 watts x 2 (also hav and extra 150 watt for mixing bucket.

what I still need.
1. dry rock (thinking 40 lbs.)
2. live rock (thinking another 25 lbs)
3. protien skimmer (not sure yet.. will not have a sump at this time so HOB it will have to be.
4. lighting (again i'm not sure what i'll be getting here)
5. probably most important... water test kit!!!
6. powerhead (liked one of the hydor models, but not sure which to get)
Anything that I'm missing?

I plan on running this tank for a while before i actually put the fishes in but here is what I'm coming up with as far as fish goes.

1. clownfish x2 (thinking occelaris, percula, or clarkii)
2. Banggaii Cardinal and/or Pajama Cardinal x 2-3
3. bicolor dottyback (or Royal garama) (will there be enough room for multiples of either species)
4. Catalina Goby x2-3 (dont really know much about these beautiful fish except the dont get very big)
5. Bicolor Blenny x1 (will this guy do his thing with pistol shrimp like the watchman)
or should i just get a watchman
6. Coral Beauty x1
7. Flame Angel x1 (my personal fav)

will the coral beauty and flame angel be able to get along? LFS says maybe if put in together at same time. I would drop the coral beauty if they wont get along.

OK, so now another very important part the inverts i would like to get...
1. Sexy Shrimp X4-5
2. pepermint shrimp x 2-3 (maybe) heard they wouldnt get along with sexy shrimp
3. emerald crabs x 2-3
4. hermits (red and blue) how big do these guys really get? I had a friend that had a hermit crab so big it could barely turn around in her 55 gal tank. I dont want anything that gets that big for sure.
5. i would love some sort of starfish, but really dont know what i could get.
6. I also think coral banded shrimp are really awesome looking, but thought they could be mean to the sexy shrimp and even they Catalina goby.

Please leave comments on items that i may need and opinions, advice on the fishes/inverts i have thought about... also would this be too much bioload for a 55? what about once all 65 lbs of rock? OR could i still get more fishes?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Couple things that I see that I can respond quickly to lol...

Go with ocelaris or percula

Catalina gobies are more of a temperate fish and not tropical. I think around 70 degree tank temp

I believe both the flame and coral beauty are pretty sensitive fish, so research up on those.

Your friend didn't have a hermit that got that big lol, blue legs are the most docile.

Emeralds can get mean when they are bigger.

I'd skip the coral banded, they can get pretty aggressive.

Check out my build thread, I basically did the same thing, it won't stay fowlr for long lol ;)

Also check out the fish you are interested in on live aquaria, they are a good resource for info

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Don't forget a refractometer for salinity testing.
Skimmer I wouldn't be super concerned about in a FOWLR.
Lighting too unless you plan to eventually go reef you don't need anything expensive.
I have Hydor pump pretty good, also have marineland, oceanic, aqueon no complaints. Pick up and extra one for your salt mixing container.

Stocking flame angels can be aggressive, I've heard coral beauty's can be ich magnets if thats true about them I'd be a little concerned with mixing them. Also if you do want corals later the coral beautys are nippy with them.

IME peppermint shrimp can be little *******s nipping at corals fighting with other shrimp.
Alot of different species of hermits, dwarf's stay very small, regular scarletts don't get to big either. Most of the common species sold as parts of a CUC don't get any bigger then 2".
Maybe some type of Fromia sp. or echinaster sp. Just becareful some stars can grow to big for a 55g. also some aren't reef safe if that matters for the future.
CBS can be a bit aggressive as well, I've spot fed them and they haven't been to bad most of the time.

mbd521

AC Members
Jan 23, 2009
Akron Ohio
RN thanks for the advice! I guess that I hadnt really read the page on the Catalina Goby :( Honestly I didnt even think to look at water requirement on that page... just kinda figured they could all go together. pretty silly of me. dolt!! I actually have gotten most of my info from Live Aquaria, i have found that site to be very useful but have also found conflicting information on other sites, inculding this one. So Catalina Goby is a no go :-( .... firefish maybe instead? also i will definately check your thread.. actually think I have already. Again thanks for the advice!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Your friend didn't have a hermit that got that big lol, blue legs are the most docile.
A couple marine hermit species do get HUGE, seen pics on maybe it was reef central of one with a 12"+ shell. My experience with blues has been the opposite they seem to be most likely to murder someone for their shell.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
A couple marine hermit species do get HUGE, seen pics on maybe it was reef central of one with a 12"+ shell. My experience with blues has been the opposite they seem to be most likely to murder someone for their shell.
Lol I'll have to look that up I had no idea. Sounds kind of scary haha

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
+1 to everything mentioned and would only add a RO/DI (at least RO for FOWLR) water filter.

Drop the catalina, the coral beauty (flames are prettier :)), the coral banded, sexy shrmip (you'll never see them in a 55), peppermints (unless you are getting them for aptasia control) and add a skunk cleaner shrmip instead. However, the dottyback may very well eat any shrimp you add so consider that as well. I would drop the emeralds, but that is just my oppinion/experience with them. The bi-color blenny will not pair up with a pistol so if that is what you're going for, stick with one of the watchmen gobies. Note that a goby does not have to have "watchmen" in the name to pair up with a pistol. Although some gobies won't pair up, most will. 7 small/medium fish is about right for a 55 but you'll want to add these over time. Again, your filtration, tank husbandry and feeding habits will dictate what load your tank will handle.

I would get the skimmer. Not required for a FOWLR if you are committed to water changes and other tank maintenance but it will certainly help. Buy a good skimmer though. Don't waste your money here. Also, get a skimmer with a prefilter box so you will have some surface skimming capability. If your Emporer uses Biowheels (they will fling saltwater everywhere) you'll want to ditch those and if you do that the filter is going to be loud and create a lot of splashing (= salt creep). If that filter is new return it and either just run the skimmer or get a Aquaclear 70 or 110 to run media.

Welcome to the hobby!

kelly0707

Registered Member
Apr 22, 2012
I have afew firefish, 2 tank raised percula clowns, six line wrasse and a yelllow watchmen goby who easily paired with my pistol shrimp, I also have a cleaner shimp , peppermint shrimp 2 red leg hermit crabs, some snails.

Love watching the firefish as they swim in schools, my clownsare always out andmy six line is the most active when he is out he loves to swim through the rocks. The fire fish hide a lot.

I tried an angel fish but it dies after a few days it was a pygmy ....I love the flame angel its beautiful!! But I dont have any more room for one.

Good Luck!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Lol I'll have to look that up I had no idea. Sounds kind of scary haha

There are Thin-Striped Hermits that use medium sized conch/whelk shells (Fighting/Crown/etc).

But the big one is the Giant Hermit that uses the big conch/whelk shells (Horse conch shells for adults). I caught one one time over on the west side of Florida. No way id put one in a tank though.

I believe the Giant is the only common one in its size range. But there are probably plenty in the medium range.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store