Betta with swollen sides... This is driving me NUTS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
Can somebody help me with this guy? 10g tank Amm 0 trite 0 trates 10ppm pH 7.8 (taken 4/15) temp 80F. See attached pics for visual, he's got swollen spots on either side, left side is larger. Been like this for about a month, does not have the "pinecone" effect so I've dismissed dropsy. Been treating for constipation for 2 weeks, fasting for 24-48 hrs, daily epsom salt baths (2g tank water + 2 tbsp Esalt for 30min followed by 15min in 1g with 2tsp Esalt), tried the pea thing and am currently feeding one betta pellet every other day. Not showing any other signs of illness (he's his normal crazy self). Have not been able to confirm #2. Anybody got any ideas? Thanks much.
P1020513.JPG
P1020510.JPG

P1020513.JPG P1020510.JPG

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
So far, you seem to be doing everything that I could think to do. Perhaps try not feeding him for a week. I know it sounds bad, but he can easily go that long or longer without food and it may give him a chance to clear his system out.

If that doesn't work, you may want to try treating him for parasites. Something is certainly going on.

He is gorgeous btw. I wish you both luck figuring this out.

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
Thanks for all. I'll give a week a try and keep up the baths. Any recommendations for what to treat for parasite with? Never actually had to do that before. Thanks again.

eraagne

AC Members
Aug 9, 2010
I would recommend Prazipro. That's what I use and was recommended on this forum.

Good luck!

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
I would recommend Prazipro. That's what I use and was recommended on this forum.

Good luck!
Prazipro is what I have used in the past and Walmart also carries a med to treat parasites that comes in little tablets that many have said they use successfully. There is also a general cure one that many use but I have never used it personally.

How is he doing with the fasting? Notice any poo yet? :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
I haven't noticed any poo yet but I think the epsom salt bath may be working. I noticed the swelling appears to be going down. Interesting side note: there is a distinct difference between a "bath" and a "dip". Ya'll probably already know all this, but I found out I was giving him "dips" not "baths". I've got him in there with 4 tsp of Esalt in a 10g (2tsp per 5g) right now and I think it's helping. I already had him on a diet so I probably won't wait longer than Sat or Sun to feed him again.

MurphysAquarist

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
Fayetteville, AR, USA
Real Name
James
Wanted to follow up with the final outcome.

Seems I was overfeeding my guy brine shrimp which caused Swim Bladder Disorder. As of this writing my guy has been in the new tank for a couple weeks, hes eating and swimming good and overall is back to his old self except he still has swollen sides. That will probably never go away but won't affect his quality of life.

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
Never heard of that (but I'm certainly no fish disease expert), but I'm very glad your little guy has come through it okay. A happy ending!

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Glad your betta is doing better. He is a beautiful boy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store