Just introduced new jack dempsey and have some problems! HELP

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Andrew1002

AC Members
Mar 31, 2012
Okay so I originally had two jack dempseys and the one male grew way faster (3.5-4" now) than the other unsexed one. They were like 1" when I got them. So the small one was being picked on really badly. So I went out and bought a 2" jack hoping to solve problems. I put him in my 15 gallon growout hoping he would fight off my larger one and get bigger. He grew half an inch and I decided today to put him in the established jack tank. This did not turn out how I though! The 2.5" jack was acclimated then dropped in the jack. So he swam around curiously. Then I see him in a lip lock with the largest jack and they are going at it! He was then chased around the tank and is now being chased by both jacks as if they are a pair! I know the largest one is no doubt a male but I'm unsure of the smaller ones! I hope I have a pair! But now the new jack is with my Oscar? I think he's trying to get protection and my Oscar gets bullied too! I'm getting some jags to solve this problem. But the jags will be sold off when larger than 6". Also all the jacks are now swimming up to eachother side by side and hitting eachother with their rear fins as giraffes do to fight over a female with their necks! Wtf is this? Do I have two males competing for a female? I know for a fact the new jack would get his butt handed to him by the larger jack and he already has but he continually whacks the large one with his tail! Is this a sign of breeding? Pics inclosed of the jacks below
uploadfromtaptalk1334718390673.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1334718419831.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1334718444486.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1334718464766.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1334718485562.jpg
Last two pics are of the largest one literally two weeks ago! He has completely changed color!
-Andrew

uploadfromtaptalk1334718390673.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1334718419831.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1334718444486.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1334718464766.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1334718485562.jpg

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
What size tanks are they in, and what's the exact stocking? My 4" JD changes color all the time (I think it has to do with mood swings), although he's become a lot darker as he's grown bigger.

Andrew1002

AC Members
Mar 31, 2012
What size tanks are they in, and what's the exact stocking? My 4" JD changes color all the time (I think it has to do with mood swings), although he's become a lot darker as he's grown bigger.
55 now until I can get my 194 built.
I honestly don't know my full stock as I have so many hiding spots I haven't seen some fish for months! But from what I know off my head
3- jack dempseys
1- Oscar (not a troublemaker just completely laid back!)
1- clown loach
1- Colombian shark
2- Buenos Aires tetra
3- leftover feeders
2- common plecostomus
5- emerald green cory cats
Actually think I got it all!
BTW most of these fish are being sold off/traded when older so the stocks will be crazily shrunk. I know its a tight fit but I'm getting rid of a lot of these fish within a month. The feeders are my one thong I am not at all worried about. They will be eaten no doubt in my mind. I've seen the Oscar in here swallow a couple minnows and those were smaller minnows. He like 3" so give him a couple months and the minnows are gone

-Andrew

Andrew1002

AC Members
Mar 31, 2012
I also have some other tanks I will move some stock into like the corys. But these fish will be in a 194 as soon as possible

-Andrew

Andrew1002

AC Members
Mar 31, 2012
I know this stock is completely different types of fish but most will be gone within a month

-Andrew

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
1. The tetras and corys will NOT last in that tank, I'd get them out of there ASAP. The loach may also be in trouble once the cichlids outgrow it, so I'd move him out too.

2. What are you feeding the cichlids? Remember that they cannot thrive off of a diet of feeder fish, at best they should be feed once every couple weeks. NLS pellets are awesome for feeding cichlids like Jack Dempseys and Oscars, I highly reccomend them. You will need to vary their diet too, at the least switching between a pellet and flake would be beneficial to their health. (They will color very nicely too) If you insist on feeding them feeder fish, then breed your own guppies/platies/mollies for feeders or buy off a breeder instead. The feeder fish at stores are usually filled with all kinds of diseases, so you're best off avoiding them as much as possible.

3. This stock will not last for very long if you don't have lot's of filtration and perform at LEAST weekly water changes. All the fish mentioned here are major producers of waste, especially the plecos and oscar. (The JD's are pretty bad too). Water quality can go downhill very quickly if you don't move the fish into a larger tank soon, and neglect to perform water changes.

4. You WILL run into more aggression issues as the cichlids age, especially if one of the JD's forms a breeding pair.

5. The plecos, cichlids, shark, and loach WILL outgrow a 55g, assuming they live to be that size.

Hopefully you'll upgrade soon and avoid a ton of problems that will come from this stocking, or at least cut back signifigantly on the stocking levels.

Andrew1002

AC Members
Mar 31, 2012
1. The tetras and corys will NOT last in that tank, I'd get them out of there ASAP. The loach may also be in trouble once the cichlids outgrow it, so I'd move him out too.

2. What are you feeding the cichlids? Remember that they cannot thrive off of a diet of feeder fish, at best they should be feed once every couple weeks. NLS pellets are awesome for feeding cichlids like Jack Dempseys and Oscars, I highly reccomend them. You will need to vary their diet too, at the least switching between a pellet and flake would be beneficial to their health. (They will color very nicely too) If you insist on feeding them feeder fish, then breed your own guppies/platies/mollies for feeders or buy off a breeder instead. The feeder fish at stores are usually filled with all kinds of diseases, so you're best off avoiding them as much as possible.

3. This stock will not last for very long if you don't have lot's of filtration and perform at LEAST weekly water changes. All the fish mentioned here are major producers of waste, especially the plecos and oscar. (The JD's are pretty bad too). Water quality can go downhill very quickly if you don't move the fish into a larger tank soon, and neglect to perform water changes.

4. You WILL run into more aggression issues as the cichlids age, especially if one of the JD's forms a breeding pair.

5. The plecos, cichlids, shark, and loach WILL outgrow a 55g, assuming they live to be that size.

Hopefully you'll upgrade soon and avoid a ton of problems that will come from this stocking, or at least cut back signifigantly on the stocking levels.
I feed hikari gold mini. I also feed a variety of other cichlid pellets. And I feed some bloodworms occasionally. Like I said half my stock is gone by next month so no worries. I know about aggression already. Reread my post carefully and you will see. I already know about all the problems I will have in the future. Thanks!

-Andrew

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store