Smallest tank that can be used to keep a few Choc Chip Stars

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
So I'd like to get a pair of Harlequin's for my nano, problem being of course feeding them, I could go the expensive route and buy stars weekly but I run into the possibility of them not always being in stock locally. I've been reading some people keep a few stars and chop the legs off rotating between stars so the legs eventually grow back is it feasible to do this with a 10g tank they of course would be the only occupants of the tank with sand and some LR.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If you have a refugium or sump, that would be ideal I think. I have no experinece with these stars and I don't know if continually chopping the arms off would eventually kill the stars or not. If so, your sump is not the place for that. I also have read similar posts on this but have probably read an equal number of posts saying the arms alone will not work. All stars require stable water so as long as your committed to keep water quality up (even if your just doing water changes, you can go with any size tank/tub you want.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
They're suppose to be hardy but its possible they could eventually succumb to all the limb removals, my big sump/fuge has a fair share of small invert's living in it which I didn't want the star eating. It will come down to the shrimp though I've read some don't show interest in just the arm as well but some will readily take it. Choc Chips, Linkia's and Astrea's seem to be what almost all of them will eat, thought about trying to setup an Astrea Colony in a tank but do to their small size I don't think they'd reproduce and grow quick enough, plus I would need a source to buy a large amount of them and nobody sells them.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
They also eat the common Starfish you find along jetties along the Atlantic coast.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
They also eat the common Starfish you find along jetties along the Atlantic coast.
That is good to know, I could probably easily collect them here then. Are they tolerant of warmer waters? I can keep them at room temp with no heater but in the summer room temp water might hit mid upper 70's which is warmer then NY beaches get.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store