One Dead/ Very Hard Socolofi

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

onebad04

AC Members
Jan 20, 2004
I have a quick question. I came down the stairs tonight to find one of my 2" Pseudotropheus Socolofi at the bottom of the tank, dead as a doornail. After I fished him out, I immediately checked my water levels. Both Nitrite and Ammonia levels are quite low. I then went back to my fish corpse and noticed that he was very heavy. Scoured his body for any odd markings, as if he was beaten up and killed, but saw none. No discoloration or anything. I even dissected him to see if he swallowed some of my aqarium gravel, but found none. Anybody know the answer??? BTW, I have seven African Cichlids in a 55g tank, all about 2" in length. Any replies I would appreciate.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Are ammonia and nitrites "quite low" or are they zero ppm each? If you have ANY detectable ammonia or nitrites, that would be my first concern.

Jim

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
How long has the tank been up and running? Did it cycle? You shouldn't have any nitrite at all. I'd be wondering about something being off-kilter with the biofilter.

Jim

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store