Black Moor skin peeling.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Faeleigh

Ruler of The Tank
Dec 17, 2009
Colorado
faeleigh.tumblr.com
Real Name
Sarah
Okay so I got these 2 black moors a little over a week ago, were perfectly fine. I got them because we just moved and only one of my fish made the move, my 15 cent platty i got out of a feed tank over a year ago! Well I had a water change scedulded for today. I do 50 percent water changes about ever 3 weeks. I did a 70 percent one today because I was relocating the tank for new furniture. I noticed both the black moors had ick and fin rot, but not my platty. I continued with the water change, removing them from the tank with the water in the tank into a small 1 gallon tank. did that because the water level would be so low. Well I cleaned the algae, added my salt, my florish excel, my zinc/copper/chlorine remover, water and then fish. I checked on the fish 30 minutes later all were happily swimming around, so I proceeded to add the Ick treatment ( machilite green ) after removing the carbon from the philter. I come back an hour later to see how they are doing, well my platty is absolutely delighted to see me, how ever one black moor is hiding, and the other is molting?!!? What the heck is going on here?!?!

I have had this tank set up for about 2 years, have only taken it down once compeletly cleaning everything about 7 months ago due to a horrible anchor algae outbreak in the tank. Its a 30 gallon tank. The Ph ( just checked) is 7.2 and the temp is 75. No I cannot check the amonia levels, and no I cant go to my local fish store that checks it, its a hour away.

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
You need to be doing more frequent partial-water changes, once or twice a week. Goldfish are super messy. The water must have been high in ammonia and possibly nitrates. And why do you add salt to the tank? What kind of salt? How much? I get the impression that you ordinarily do this for some reason? I have heard that salt can be bad for goldfish with scale issues, or if you are also treating the tank with meds. The moors don't have skin, they have scales. But you don't need to be adding salt in the first place.

I just googled, it says here Do not use salt on bloated fish; fish with raised scales; fish that have recently been salted. Stagger use of salt remedies and treatments; do not combine salt and medications:

http://goldfish-emergency.com/viewpage.php?page_id=14

Editing to add that it could be from salt "burns". You should let us know how much salt you added, and what kind of salt.

Last edited:

Faeleigh

Ruler of The Tank
Dec 17, 2009
Colorado
faeleigh.tumblr.com
Real Name
Sarah
Well I had several paragraphs written and it didnt post, not writing it again. The fish are acting totally normal today, eating and scrapping food off the bottom. So if anyone can tell me what the "skin" peeling off is or what fungus or parasite it may be, please reply, if not please do not respond. I have been doing the same thing in my tank for 2 years, never had this problem before, so its not something I am doing, its either the water where we have moved to or the fish were sick when I got them.

tithra

Registered Member
Apr 21, 2012
Hi there! Sorry you are having issues with your moor.
Unfortunately it is very difficult to diagnose the problem without further information (and potentially dangerous to recommend treatment without info on your water parameters).

Here is what I would like to know in order to better help you :)

- what size tank?
- what kind of filter?

- What are the water parameters (ammonia nitrite nitrate and Ph) of both the new tap and your tank? I realize that you
said you are unable to get these however, I think that these numbers are of utmost importance in this situation, as you
have stated that you had no problems prior to moving, which suggests there may be an issue with the new water source.) If you are able to get your water tested please write down the exact numbers, don't just let the pet store tell you it's fine.

- What is your gh/kh for the tap water? (you can typically call your water company to find out these values, they stand for general hardness and carbonate hardness. You can also get a test at the pet store for them).

If you already have a Ph test can you do me a favor and test both the tap and tank Ph?

Excess slime coat can be related to a number of different water parameters so knowing these is very important.

Malachite green is an incredibly harsh medication. It is really toxic to fish and can harm your cycle, which means you may be getting toxic levels of ammonia and nitrite building up in the tank. I would highly suggest a 100% water change and putting the carbon back in your filter to get any of the malachite green out of the system.

Ich can easily be treated with aquarium salt and heat. However, if there is any ammonia in your tank any medications, even salt, can be dangerous. This is why it is so incredibly important to own your own test kit. A good water test kit is one of the best tools you can have as a fish keeper to keep your fish healthy and happy. I would highly suggest getting the API master test kit, which comes with everything you need. It is typically about 30 dollars, but will last you a long time so it is cheaper than test strips in the long run and more accurate.

As FinsNFur already stated your water change routine is not adequate for your fish. Goldfish produce a lot of waste and require a very minimum of a weekly 50-80% water change.

Please try to get the info on your water parameters :) It would be very helpful. Additionally, if you could post a video or picture that would be great too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store