how does a neon know its a neon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hans

I will eat your fish.
Oct 24, 2003
Gieboldehausen, DE
www.brianhanley.com
ive often wondered about how a fish knows waht it is, does it look in the mirror and say, im a neon, ill go hang out with those other neons?

schiejr

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
I think they call it instinct :) I wonder if anyone has done a study like raising a neon with a group of rummynose and then introducing a school of neons-where would he go?

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
A lot of the schooling behavior has to do with the size and shape of the fish. Two groups of neons won't school if there is a huge difference in size, but two schools of similarly sized fish will mingle. Instinct has a lot to do with recognizing other fish--the lateral line plays a role in detecting chemicals that help fish stay together.

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I know if I have a lone tetra or something, it will find similar fish to hang out with but I have also introduced fish such as my bloodfins when I had another bloodfin twice their size already in the tank and it took no time at all for them to seek eachother out and they now follow eachother around. Kyle

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
How do you know you're attracted to guys/girls? You see 'em and say "I wanna be with him/her!"
In-stinct!

LoneWolf1Seven

AC Members
Jan 4, 2004
Colo.
Visit site
I think it has alot to do about size, habit and your surroundings. At one time I had 6 glo lites , 6 tiger barbs and 6 green tiger barbs in the same 10 g tank, all of the barbs survived but 4 of the glo lites died leaving 2( which after watching a show about the atomic bombs dropped on Japan during WWII they were named Fat Man and Little Boy )Anyway back to the subject at hand, I moved the barbs to an 18 g and keeped the tetras in the 10 g adding 4 more glo lites and 6 neons, the two mentioned above schooled by themselves until I added tiger barb fry into the 10 g, now they school with the fry, kinda like showing the new kids on the block, the ropes. They grew up with barbs so they recognize barbs as their family, and they are extreamly happy :D with them....just thought I'd share.....

Mark_b

AC Members
Jun 24, 2003
Visit site
Interesting thought - How does a fish know how big it is if it can't see itself?

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Ever seen a ticked off betta? Has no clue he's only a few inches of scale. He thinks he's the biggest, baddest fin around. Put up a mirror, and he's goingInstinct. Fish do not have the brains for complex thought--but we anthropomorphize them into quite complex critters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store