My New Angel Babies!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
About 6 months ago I gave away my paired/breeding Angels because I just got tired of rearing the fry. About January I put 5 baby angels in my 125 to grow out for two friends who wanted to add more angels but couldn't find any a safe non-bite-sized size to add to their tanks. While in my LFS I ran across this guy a few months ago.

It's hard to tell with the lighting in this picture but his fins are actually a dark grey. I instantly fell in love with him and brought him home and named him George. I then started a search to find some more of "him", but wasn't sure of what his color was. The closest thing I could find was Blushing German Blue. So, I thought I would buy some of them to add. No luck finding them.

Then, I ran across these guys on Aquabid.

They are not German Blue Blushers but very similarly colored and are said to be veil tails. I think a few are veils, but not all of course. I so love these guys!! Once again, it's hard to see the coloring due to lighting but their fins are a very dark grey, nearly black. I think what I like so much about them is the coloration reminds me of a Siamese Cat! :D

So, now George is in the 125 but his other Angel buddies are going to their new home now that they are no longer bite-sized and the babies are in QT on my kitchen counter. I have 8 babies and George and only planning on keeping 6 total. (I do have an excellent home lined up for two of them when they are large enough to have aggression/breeding issues). I think keeping 6 in the 125g will probably not go over well. Yes size/tank space wise they would be fine but not behavior wise. So I need to plan a definite home for 1 of them since 2 of the extras are spoken for, and possibly re-home 2 more when breeding hits.

I just wanted to show off my newest finned babies. I have had the 8 new babies in QT for about 2 weeks now and so far (knock on wood) they have been incredibly healthy. I will probably introduce them to George and their bigger digs in another 4 weeks or so.

Does anyone know what this color pattern is really called? Besides my "Siamese Cat Angel Fish" theory :D

Thanks so much for looking.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
I say you stick with the Siamese Cat idea. My guess is that its Platinum X Ghost with some back-crossing back to Platinum, but god only knows without actually sitting down and looking at the genetics...there is a good site somewhere around here, I'll have to look it up.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
They're Ken Kennedy's fish...."dark finned variant of Ghost"

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
http://www.angelfish.net/VBulletin/showthread.php?p=226917
Read this!!! I think i found my new breeding project.
Hmmm. That certainly is the color of my babies. Some even have a very similar vertical stripe. Thank you for finding that. I will have to read it closer tomorrow. I've had another injury and I'm on some pretty serious muscle relaxers and pain pills that are not allowing appropriate brain function at the moment. lol.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Wow. I wonder if they are bred what the fry looks like. Do they revert to different color morphs or do they hold true to the current color?

Thank you for finding the true color name for me! Dark Finned Variant of Ghost. I knew that ghost gene was in there because of the blushing.

I bet I still call them Siamese Cat Angelfish ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store