Breeding feeder shrimp?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
With my tank ready for livestock I am looking at different fish and most would rather have live shrimp... Well I know of mysis and feeder shrimp are acceptable food sources for many SW fish but which is the best and how if there is anyway I can keep the shrimp in a 10 gallon and breed them so I don't have to buy them all the time?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
How long would marbled last in SW though? As far as nutritionally they may not be very good, I know FW feeder fish make bad feeders for SW fish, not sure if invert's would be any different. Its to bad SW doesn't have any neocardina type shrimps easily bred with no larval stage.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
As far as I know both mysis and glass/ghost/grass shrimp are cannibals. You can breed them but they are rather likely to eat at least some of the babies. Mysis are apparently worse in this regard. Or maybe just worse at fighting each other off.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Seems a bit more complicated than I originally thought... What do you guys feed your fish? I'm just not a fan of flake foods, not as main food source anyway

I feed ocean nutrition spirulina flakes, formula one pellets, and frozen brine and mysis.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
frozen brine, mysis, krill, marine flakes, shrimp pellets, pods, occasionally live mysis, and mollies, fresh and freeze dried seaweed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store