Aggressive Danio

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

texyank

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
West Grove, PA
Visit site
I'm new here (been lurking for a while) but not new to the hobby. Although, I must admit it has been many years since my last setup. Anyway, on to the point of this post.

I cycled my tank using Danios. I lost a few in the process which didn't disturb me too much. The tank has been cycled for 7-8 weeks with no problems. A week ago I noted one of my Danios had a few reddish sores. The next morning he was dead. Now I've got one with what looks like a broken lower jaw - he can't close his mouth. Another has a large red area on his left abdomen. Today I noted one of the others running these two all over the tank. It appears that I have a bully!

Has anyone else ever experienced this with Danios?

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
I had a longfinned leopard that would chase and bully the others but never had any damage done. Kyle

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Welcome to AC texyank! I went through several schools of danios because they were pestering each other, would spread out and bother other fish but never experienced any damage (except for a missing eye which could have been some other fish).
I'm inclined to agree with Tando about them being sick. Certainly sounds like it could be a bacterial infection. Unfortunately, removing the fish may not remove all the bacteria since there could be some left in the tank (and in fact there are always some in the tank, may or may not be the ones infecting your fish). Anyway, a broad spectrum antibiotic would be my first course of action.
Of course, they are danios ("a dime a dozen") so you could just FLUSH 'EM and start over. Some ppl can, some can't. It's your call. Good luck.

texyank

AC Members
Feb 24, 2004
West Grove, PA
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions.

I treated the tank yesterday with Melafix. Anything that smells that badly has to do something! Twentyfour hours later I can't tell which Danio had the red spot. They're all acting like they always do - juiced on caffeine. However, the one with the bad jaw looked far worse. Definitely some sort of infection. I held a brief ceremony before putting him out of his misery.

I appreciate the advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store