Lowering my tank's salinity

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
So I just tested my system's salinity and it came up at 1.028 ppt-which is a little high...

I was wondering if I should take measures to lower the salinity back to 1.026. Or if I should just continue doing my weekly water changes. But theoretically, I guess if I just continued doing my weekly water changes the salinity would just increase since the water evaporates and salt stays.

But if it's something I need to do what's the best way to go about it. Im guessing it's some kind of dilution equation I'll have to use to get my tank back to the desired salinity.

On the flip side my fish and corals seem to be doing just fine...cept my brain which seems to have good strides and bad strides since ive had him.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
If it aint broke, dont fix it. If you are worried you can start dropping it back down with your next water change. But dring it down slowly

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
I don't worry personally unless it hits 1.030...mainly because my hydrometer doesn't measure much higher. :laugh:

You could leave it, since you are still within the natural range of saltwater. Otherwise a waterchange without saltmix will lower it. Just be careful since you don't want a crazy swing. A bunch of mini-changes spread out would be better.

How are you topping off the tank water?

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Its with in tolerance, sounds like maybe your last water change the tank wasnt topped off beforehand. I only have ATO on one tank the others I make sure to top off manually right before I do a change so I don't end up with a swing.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
I top off my tanks with RODI (no salt mix) and my salinity stays pretty steady. If you do that and make your salt mix at your desired salinity, you should gradually lower it back to where you want it.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
^Yup Ive only been topping off with RODI water (no salt).

Reading Squid's post made me realize the stupid thing that Ive been doing. I wasn't topping off to a specified level BEFORE doing a water change. Wow thats dumb.

Luckily the water level in the sump wasn't at a huge difference each time-Im guessing somewhere between .1 gal-1 gal at most and luckily this is a 92 gal system plus sump so its only made a small change. But I guess not topping off at some specified level everytime I do a weekly water change would be enough to slowly go from 1.026 to 1.028 in the 6 and half months my tank has been up.

I think I will do some smaller slightly less salty water changes and then definitely start topping off to a strict level each time before doing a water change.

Thanks guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store