Question: Mudskippers and Current

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

digitalbliss

Registered Member
Apr 27, 2005
So much for introductions, here's the quick story...First time poster. I've kept Indian Mudskippers for a few years, with a bit of a lull. I set up a paludarium a while ago, realizing it was nearly time for my favorite LFS to get in some Mudskippers.
When they came in, I bought three african skippers. Unfortunately, we lost one very shortly after they had acclimated to the water.

So, here I am with two left in a 40g. One of the two seems to be dominant over the left side of the tank and the other tends to stay toward the middle or venturing over onto the left side more often, to the annoyance of the other that stays on that side. Herein lies my question...Why will the second not go onto the right side of the tank(granted, I'm looking for suggestions/ideas, not necessarily specific answers)?

They have been slowly acclimated from fresh water to a specific gravity of 1.003 currently. There are multiple perches/climbing areas on each side for the skippers made with river rock, driftwood, and one tree stump aquarium decoration.
My only theory thus far is that the right side of the tank is also where the filter is placed and perhaps he stays in the middle to right because of the current? The way the tank is set up, the current is significantly lighter on the left side of the tank, although still not all that strong on the left.

Ideas?

carolinyens

AC Members
Apr 20, 2009
Butner NC
I was thinking current flow but I see your already thinking that.
PS you joined 7 years ago and this is your first post wow! congrats

digitalbliss

Registered Member
Apr 27, 2005
Wow...I hadn't even noticed that. That's...kind of disturbing. Either way, I had completely forgotten about this site until the new mudskipper tank, as this site came up quite a bit while googling to make sure I still remembered all the correct information. That's probably why I registered back then, too.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store