I'm BAAAAAACK! Looking for ideas on stocking, all help welcome!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Callmeconfused

The sad effect of sleep deprivation
Jul 25, 2010
Gainesville, Florida
Real Name
Kimi
So, after a long(kinda) hiatus w/o my tanks, except the 5 gallon betta tank, I am itching to reset up my 25 gallon tank. It's gonna be a bit, as I have to start from scratch. I sent my filters/pumps/ everything but the tank itself with my 55 gallon tank when I found it a new home. Finally got everything squared away and I'm trying to get my ducks in a row so I can pick up my supplies a little with each paycheck.
I want to do this right, the way I want it to look, so I'm gonna wait till I have the money to get each piece at a time. No shortcuts on this one!

1) I plan on a wooden cabinet and canopy. My LFS works with a custom cabinet store so they can make one for me in any color I want.

2) I've already decided on an Eheim Classic 2213 filter.

3) I really want a pair of German blue rams! I also want 6-8 White skirt tetras. Other than that, I have no idea on fish.

So, my question is, what other fish would you recommend with my current stock list and how many? Oooo, and also, what heater would you recommend? I want one I can control, not one with a preset temperature.

And one more note....Glad to be back!

iheartbettas

AC Members
Sep 9, 2010
Detroit Metro area, Michigan
Real Name
Bernie
as far as a heater recommendation, I would recommend the new Fluval E series. The M series are good too. As far as stocking, blue rams are absolutely gorgeous but might be aggressive towards other tankmates.

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
In that size tank the rams will not be a problem, I would add them to the tank last though since the tank should be cycled when they are added.

The white skirts can get a little nippy, but should be ok in that size of a group.

I would recommend some corydoras paleatus catfish (salt and pepper cory) and a group of 4-6 of them and maybe a dwarf pleco.

Are you thinking live or fake plants?
What about lighting and substrate?

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
For the heater, can't go wrong with a Hydor ETH inline heater.

Installs on the inflow tubing for the tank. They are big, about the size of a soda can, and have to be positioned upright, not horizontally so can't always fit in the cabinet. Mine's right behind the tank where it's out of sight but I can reach it easily.

I have one with my Eheim 2213 — which I love! — on a 29g. :)

Callmeconfused

Jul 25, 2010
Gainesville, Florida
Real Name
Kimi
@iheartbettas, good to know. The good thing about that is that I know someone who will happily take the white skirts off my hands if they don't get along...I'm not too willing to give up those rams though, lol. I'll look into the fluval heater.

@cicrush13, I hope not. really like the look of both, and I love the personality of the German blue ram my brother has. Although I think his is a little odd for it's kind. He likes to school with a 30+ school of neon tetras. They were given him when he was tiny, so I don't know if he thinks that's what he is. He's confused. Most likely live plants, just have to make sure I treat them for planaria. Hate them little buggers.
Would the cories be okay with gravel/tiny pebbles? I'm not a big fan of sand.
Oh, and I'm not sure if I will go with my favorite, the black eco-complete, or if I want tiny river pebbles.

@H2Ogal, I think I like the idea of an inline heater! One less thing in my tank other than fish!

Callmeconfused

Jul 25, 2010
Gainesville, Florida
Real Name
Kimi
Thanks! It will be a little bit, gotta collect parts inbetween fixing my car, lol. I will def. do a journal when I start.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Glad to see that you are back. I am kind of new, so I dont seem to remember you, but you seem like you will liven up this forum during a slow time for it!

Inline heaters seem like a good idea if you really want a "show" tank. I am probably going to tear down my 10g soon. But after I get a job, I will get some nice stuff and a nice tank and a python gravel vac.

I know what fixing your car adds up to. My dad just got rear ended. Luckily the other person was at fault and their insurance will pay for it. But he went in today to see what it will cost them, and he had the guy estimate the cost of repairing his bumper that was broken after hitting an animal on the highway. He broke less than 1/4th of the bumper and they want $700 to repair it. That is like a 1.2ft by .5ft section that is messed up. With that money we could buy a 65in hdtv. (I know, because we just got one)

Callmeconfused

Jul 25, 2010
Gainesville, Florida
Real Name
Kimi
Lol, I like how your mind works! From tank to TV in 4 seconds.

I definately want it to be a show tank, even if I'm one of the few who see's it. :lol2: The last time, I set up too many tanks too fast. I went with the least expensive equipment I could find to do the job and it came back to bite me. I want this one to be perfect! I know, high expectations. But I figure, I'll be more likely to succeed if I take my time. I don't plan on having any more tanks than the 25 and my 5. I love the 5, it gets rearranged and the decor changed out with the water changes. I have to keep my betta girl's life exciting. If only someone would do that for me....

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Well, if your dead set on the rams then the tank would be built around them. You'll want at least one cave, probably more (these can be made with a terra-cotta pot on it's side) as well as other cover. My German Blue (RIP) was a very shy fish, but that may have come from being in a 75 gal tank. Your stock plan is solid, though, as said before, the white skirts may get nippy. I've heard that corys and rams will have turf wars since they both live on the bottom of the tank, and since the corys don't understand the concept of private property or "stay off mah lawn!". Never had that problem, but my cories were both larger then the ram and in the tank before her, and she had plenty of space to hide. is your 25gal tall or long, that could be a deciding factor in the "To Cory or not to Cory" issue.

I would like to recommend ottos, as mine have already stolen my heart (Cutest little fish in the world!) but I haven't had them a week yet so I can't say anything except that they are adorable and eat algae wafers and algae.

Now, we have mid and bottom-level schooling fish and a bottom level centerpiece fish... We need some kind of top-dwelling species, but I have no idea what besides guppies are good in a 25gal tank with rams. Perhaps some kind of smaller Gourami? I like the appearance of Flame Dwarf Gouramis (http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+882+2687&pcatid=2687) but have no experience with them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store