Why are my fire mouths going after my peacocks?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kandyroll

AC Members
Apr 22, 2012
I just got 2 small peacocks at about 2 inches long. Beautiful fish. And my 2.5 inch fire mouths are constantly showing to them! Just recently they got very agressive. They are going after my pictus cat but not my convict or my Dempsey. Both at 2.5 to 3 inch range. I'm trying to convert my tank into a peacock and synodonus tank. They are in a 55 gallon tank btw

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
I have heard that its one or the other with firemouths: either they are mean as Hell, or they are big wussies. My guess it that your mixing SA and Africans, they aren't really made to mix. The two communicate differently. For example: my geophagus follows my large front around doing his little spaz attack dance saying 'I'm the big guy around here" and my front just goes about his business. I would seperate the two types if possible.

Another possibility could be just that they are getting to 'that age'

xUnRaTeDxxRkOx

AC Members
May 12, 2012
Denver, Colorado
www.FaceBook.com
Real Name
Mike R.
+1 on totally different part of the world, South American cichlid species aren't like Africans, S/A species will bully each other to establish a pecking order for the tank, they will do this because it's natural for them. They do in the wild as well, it's how they show their dominance, to show "everyone who's the big bully".

Flaring of the gills is to let others know they aren't welcome in that area, and if they stay in the area the dominant fish will then attack.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Your best bet for a peacock tank is a 75 or larger, most species need more space than a 55 when they're adults. As already mentioned above, mixing SA or CA cichlids with African rift lake species isn't a good idea. Aside from the difference in water conditions their behavior is also completely different. Firemouths in particular claim a relatively large territory when they pair off, and will consider the whole tank as thier own unless a more dominant fish takes over. Even then the dominant fish may get torn up or killed if the firemouths pair up and spawn.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store