Australian rainbows... do I want them?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

KLGFCG

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
A few days ago, I was at my not-so-local (about an hour away) FS and saw Australian Rainbowfish for the first time. So pretty! On impulse, I told the employee that I wanted all of them, but she told me that they were still in QT. We talked a little, and she put them all on hold for me, and took my number to call when they're ready to go. I didn't pay anything towards them.

Now, I'm having second thoughts. I was originally buying them to put in my 90 gallon to fill the top space - other residents are a severum, 6 geophagus "red headed tapajos", and 2 sajicas (all juvies, all fairly recently acquired). The thing is, I'm really happy with how the tank looks as it stands. I've never kept rainbows, so I'm looking for some guidance. Does anyone think they'll add something to the tank, or will it be too much?

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
A group of them would be fine in a 90 with the cichlids, should act as dithers. If the sajicas pair off the tank may actually be overcrowded with the other cichlids, but the rainbows won't affect that either way.

BanalityBob

AC Members
Oct 28, 2010
They're really nice fish. I had some in a 90 gallon a few years ago, and they were awesome. The males get some great rainbow coloring when they're "in the mood", and the females are prettily iridescent too. Just remember, with rainbows, you want about 2-3 females per male, as the males do harass the females. How many are you getting?

KLGFCG

AC Members
Feb 2, 2006
Thanks for the feedback. I'm still torn, but I came home from work to a message that they're ready to go, so I have to decide soon.

Stupid question, but how do you even sex rainbowfish? If I get them, I'll be getting 9 (all they had), but no idea on the ratios. If the ratio is off, how bad will the harrassment get?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store