How to sex Oscars?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
Mike "Captain America" Houston
How would I be able to find out if my Oscars are male or female? They are way to small now for mating (about 6 ot 7 inches each) but I would like to know if they maybe could later. Also does it matter if one is Albino and the other a regular tiger?

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
Lmfao thanks for that smarta**. :duh: I'm asking here JIC anybody has experience doing such a thing and I for sure would trust somebodys expertise here then over a random website. Isn't that what this forum is for?

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
It does not matter if one is Albino and the other one is not. You can not tell if an Oscar is a male or female just by looking at them. You usuallly find out if they are male and female when they start spawning. Two females together, one will lay eggs... so you can only tell my seing the sexual organs protruding when the male and female are mating.

Mike4155

AC Members
Feb 15, 2011
Miami
Real Name
Dang, so pretty much just hurry up and wait. If it happens it happes, if it don't it don't. Lmao

You guys wouldnt happen to know if they only carry a certain sex at petsmart? Like, do they only sell all males or all females?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Pretty much all Cichlids show the same secondary sex characteristics to varying degrees. These include longer points on certain fins, and a nuchal hump. While Oscars don't show an exaggerated degree of difference like some Cichlids, these clues can be useful, particularly when you have a larger # of individuals to choose from. At 12" or so it can be fairly obvious but at the size of your fish it's probably a waste of time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store