55 gallon lion fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Can a 12 year old handle a lion fish tank and a snowflake moray eel. BTW that's me and I have cichlids right now in sand with two plecos and a peacock eel, I also have 6 other aquariums, terrariums, and vivariums. I know a lot about SW and FW fish and equipment, do you think my dad and I could build our own sump? I have been researching for a few months, I know the cautions with lion fish. Please offer advice and thoughts.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Well as far as the lionfish I'd go with one of the 8" or less species in a 55. Eel's need a secure top or they will find a way out, so its best to have a drilled tank with all equipment in the sump to make it easier to fit a top. Also remember dietary needs both of them need either frozen or live food. I've been tagged by a lionfish before as long as your not allergic it isn't that bad.

Sumps as long as you have the tools and researched the process yes, you could build your own from scratch.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick
I know how the eels jump (I have the peacock eel with my mbuna cichlids) and I also know how lion fish should be fed frozen first and then start adding in some goldfish or guppies. The eel... what exactly is recommended for food?

felix453

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
I thought it wasn't a good idea to feed predatory fish goldfish, sorry if I'm wrong!

CrustaceaCurtis

AC Members
Feb 17, 2012
North of Boston
My uncle had a lionfish and a snowflake eel in a 55, and the lion died and the eel jumped out and died.

Not sure why the lionfish died, but keep that lid secure for the eel.

And don't get stung!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
snowflakes like most meats fresh/frozen fish, shrimp, crabmeat, mussels. Also will eat live crustaceans and small fish. If you keep him well fed he might not eat your CUC.

Lionfish will try to eat anything that will fit in its mouth which is bigger then you might think.

And as Felix said from what I've read feeding FW feeders to SW is bad. I'd just raise some SW mollies in a different tank.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick
Ok so it's not good to feed SW fish FW fish, I've heard that lion fish and snowflake moray eels are more immune to liver cancers. Maybe I'm wrong, can I get the shrimp that comes in the bags at the grocery store. I can only afford 10 bucks a week and that would require some MORE

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick
-chores, as if 2 foot and a half long bearded dragons, 2 tortoises, 10 gallon aquarium, 10 gallon Firebellied toads, 20 gallon mbuna aquarium, and a 5.5 gallons, isnt enough! That would mean helping my dad with params on the pool and mowing lawn!

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
If I am not mistaken, I believe that snowflakes require bigger than 55 gal. I could be wrong but know my LFS has a very large one.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store