Bettas with Angels

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
Is it possible for a male betta be place with angels, a gold groumai and a female betta?

I put my female in there a few months ago and my angels don't seem to mind her one bit and the groumai seems to leave her be. I put my male in the tank a little over a month ago, he was chased.. only for a bit, by my one angel. He leaves my other fish alone and he doesn't bother the female betta either. From time to time his fins are torn... but I think he rubs against the rocks in my tank, since I never see my angels bother him anymore.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
If his fins are frayed you have a big problem some where. It is just asking for fin rot and other bacterial/fungal infections. Keeping a male and female Betta together is never a good idea. I would suspect that is your problem. Just because you don't see it happening, doesn't mean it isn't happening.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
His fins are healed now.... He stays at the surface mostly and he leaves the female alone. He only chases the groumai around once in awhile, but he doesn't really attack anything. I know keeping a male and female in the same tank is bad, but I have a lot of hiding places for them.

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
This is going to be like all your other threads. You KNOW it's a bad idea. People will continue to point out exactly why and what will happen but you will continue to argue, make excuses and try to rationalize why this is a good idea because it is what best suits YOUR needs, not the needs of your fish. I see no need to waste further effort.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cryeth_the_raven

fumbling towards ecstasy
Feb 10, 2009
CT
Real Name
Trev
It's not feasible simply because beyond bettas and angels not "agreeing" with each other you have the element of tank size. An angel would require a much larger tank than a betta would. Bettas don't particularly like large tanks. I've tried it a few times with a single male betta and I usually find the betta hiding or looking for a place to hide. They instinctively feel vulnerable in large tanks. A smaller tank of a few gallons up to 10-15 is a nice home for a betta. And probably the most secure psychologically.

cryeth_the_raven

fumbling towards ecstasy
Feb 10, 2009
CT
Real Name
Trev
I'm sure some people keep bettas in 200,000 gallon oceanariums- but this is simply my experience with them.

JamieMonster

AC Members
Mar 16, 2012
Chicagoland, USA
Real Name
Jamie
From my experience, bettas and angels are not a good idea together (which is why pretty much everyone in the aquarium hobby says not to mix them)- Before the days of the internet, I tried mixing a male betta with angels (I didn't know any better, though- nowhere to easily research, and ppl at the pet shops aren't usually that knowledgeable with compatibility) I didn't SEE any of the aggression happening at first, either- not until the very last one- but, my betta went serial killer on all of the angels in my tank, and I felt horrible about it. That is when the angels were babies- from what I understand, when angels mature, they have the potential to be very aggressive toward the betta (and are also likely to eat your guppies and black tetras), and he wouldn't stand a chance. I know some ppl have done it, but, they have a back up plan in case the stocking arrangement goes south, and can move him to another tank. When my current male betta was in my betta sorority tank, the aggression level of the females jumped up about 10 times of their normal aggressive and cranky selves, and they went after him BIG TIME, they are also super quick... can go from beautiful fins to big chunks missing in less than a second, so, you may not see it happen, and that is just when they were giving warning blows, and not seriously fighting. (again, I didn't know they weren't supposed to live together, and as soon as I found that out, he was immediately moved for everyone's safety)- Gourami and bettas will fight, so, that isn't a good idea, either. But, you already KNOW you are putting incompatible fish in the same tank together- not just with 1 incompatible species to your betta, but 2, in a tank that really isn't that large for establishing territories, that from the look of it is probably overstocked (which will up the aggression level in your semi-aggressives to begin with, as they grow)-, so, why even attempt it in the first place? Your betta is probably super stressed with that mix, which may be why he never leaves the top of the tank... Mine swim all over the place, just like any other fish would. With the mix you've got going on, from my experience, you're just asking for trouble. Make sure you have cycled back up tanks up and running to move out fish if all hell breaks loose. Good luck- I hope everything works out well, though. :\

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
But, you already KNOW you are putting incompatible fish in the same tank together- not just with 1 incompatible species to your betta, but 2, in a tank that really isn't that large for establishing territories, that from the look of it is probably overstocked (which will up the aggression level in your semi-aggressives to begin with, as they grow)-, so, why even attempt it in the first place? Your betta is probably super stressed with that mix, which may be why he never leaves the top of the tank... Mine swim all over the place, just like any other fish would. With the mix you've got going on, from my experience, you're just asking for trouble. Make sure you have cycled back up tanks up and running to move out fish if all hell breaks loose. Good luck- I hope everything works out well, though. :\
+1

GottaBetta

AC Members
Apr 22, 2012
Virginia, USA
Real Name
Amber
The female could still die from your male betta attacking her, just because she is a betta herself. I know someone else pretty much pointed this out, but still. So for the good of your bettas you could AT LEAST take one (or both- even better) and place them in separate tanks- away from each other and away from the angels.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Just like another member mentioned here, I have never had good luck with Bettas in large tanks. I feel they are healthier and react better to smaller environments. I am not suggesting to put them in a gallon, but as suggested before nothing over 10-15. You really have to be careful with Bettas as they are more solitary fish. They can take very little stress and you never know who will be eating their fins or whose fins they will be eating. Everytime I have tried something that instinctually and logically I knew was wrong it has ended in disaster. You know what is best for your fish.... do that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store