Thinking about doing a small 10 gal saltwater set up

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
You have to be a bit more precise than just thinking of a "sea star". You have to do a bit of homework on that part first. Their needs can be REALLY different as well as unique habits that would make some bad tankmates for some fish.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
If you are relatively new to salt water tanks I would go against doing a small 10 gallon tank. I would say at the very least, setup a 30 gallon system. The reason is that with only 10 gallons, you're margins for error are very very small. Any mistake could potentially crash the entire system right away.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
I have a 10g sw that started 2/22 and is running along just fine. Prime words are GO SLOW: start it with good live rock mixed with deadrock; test, test, test; when ammonia and nitrite are down start with turbo and blueleg hermits; test test test; after a couple of weeks add a cleaner shrimp or two (my skunk shrimp may be my favorite tank inhabitant--very different creature from freshwater dwarf shrimp which I now find kinda boring.:) ) Wait at least 2 months after that to add any fish or larger inhabitants, and imho add them 1 at a time at least a week apart. This allows the bacteria to ramp up to supporting the higher bioload.

about sea stars I know nothing, but I have an apparently happy clown and now 5 corals all doing well. Except the xenia which is stubbornly refusing to reset its base to attach to anything. /puzzled.

enjoy. If you get hooked on salt like most of us do the 10g will give you good experience. And a base of equipment and materials that will make a move into a larger tank at some point much more affordable.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
If you are relatively new to salt water tanks I would go against doing a small 10 gallon tank. I would say at the very least, setup a 30 gallon system. The reason is that with only 10 gallons, you're margins for error are very very small. Any mistake could potentially crash the entire system right away.
I must whle heartedly agree. Just as it is advisable for a newb to freshwater start with as large as possible, starting SW with a 10 has the potential to drive you way from the dark side forever, and trust me, the dark side is great we have cookies.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
and trust me, the dark side is great we have cookies.
Still waiting on mine...who do I contact again? :D

To the op, you'll need a bigger tank for clowns. A 40 breeder would be a great tank to start with. Also check out live aquaria and their nano fish section.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I would definately start with a 30 or 40, larger tanks are easier to mainetain. And, make sure you test test test.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Tank size is one of the things that is opposite of FW, same thing with price. It might even cost more to have a 10 gallon SW than to have a 30 or 40.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
I have to say on the contrary. I have had a 8 gallon biocube mixed reef running for 9 months now without any problems. Just invest in an auto top off and you can make a 10 work without to many problems.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store