My girlfriend got 2 puffers today

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kandyroll

AC Members
Apr 22, 2012
One is a green spot puffer the other is a figure 8 puffer. 2 cool little guys one is about 3 inches the other is about 2 inches. Anything I should expect with these guys? Or any special care?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

aviva90

AC Members
Jun 19, 2010
San Francisco, CA
Real Name
Aviva
I would expect fighting between two puffers, they are aggressive. Other than that feed snails to help keep the teeth filed down (plus they love to eat them) and use really hardy plant for territory. Also they are very messy eaters, and messy over-all so they muck up the tank pretty fast. Just a couple tips, others will have more in-depth info

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Both are species which really need to have brackish conditions. Adult Spotteds can be kept fully marine.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike
Both are species which really need to have brackish conditions. Adult Spotteds can be kept fully marine.
I agree but would say that adult green spots need to be in full marine. I have kept them and they do much better in full salt after about 2.5 yrs max.

Longboard Fish

Registered Member
Apr 27, 2012
Real Name
Luc
Hey Kandy, I have kept GSP's before but never Figure 8's, however I do know a lot about them. First of all, they should not be housed in the same tank together, unless it is a very spacious tank because in a short amount of time the GSP will be much bigger than the Figure 8 and one night will decide he wants a snack. I would also like to mention that puffers are highly aggressive for a freshwater fish, which coupled with their sharp beaks is a deathtrap for any other fish meaning no tankmates besides other puffers of the SAME species as long as tank size allows. Both these puffers are brackish so they need anywhere from a 1.008 to a 1.018 on the salinity scale which can be accomplished using Marine Salt for aquariums and following directions online for setting up brackish tanks.

These puffers have a diet that will consist of mainly protein with some crustaceans. The staple food should be something meaty like frozen blood worms, which is what I used for my GSP, or any other meaty fish food but not flakes. They will need small crustaceans like Malaysian Trumpet Snails to dullen their beak because if their beaks are not shaved down occasionally, they will overgrow and cause the puffer much discomfort and make them lose the ability to eat their food eventually leading to death. I used to feed my GSP a medium sized MTS about once every week to two weeks. Eventually when they get bigger you can feed them cool things like ghost shrimp.

Finally, a single GSP needs a tank size of at LEAST a 20 gallon long, but preferably a 29 gallon which is what I housed mine in. It technically is possible to house two GSP's in a 29 gallon while they are still juvies but I highly recommend against it for fear of bullying. A single Figure 8 puffer can be housed in a 10 gallon alone for the duration of its life, and for every ten gallons after that another puffer can be added. For example that would be 2 in a 20 gallon, 3 in a 30 gallon, etc... But keep in mind that there needs to be a heavily planted tank for either one of these puffers even if they are alone, because they are highly intelligent and curious so they will be bored to tears in a barren tank.

That's my schpiel, but I hope it was helpful. I know puffers can be difficult, so if you can't meet the specifications, please return them and get a more mild mannered fish. :)

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I have had my F8 puffer for close to 5 years in my 46BF oddball community tank. The only aggression I ever saw from it was when there was another F8 in the same tank. Otherwise, it pretty much keeps to itself. A year or so ago, I added 4 SAPs (south american puffers), and there have been no issues between them. My F8 has been in fresh water since I got it. Good luck.

puffykid

AC Members
Apr 28, 2012
Hi, these two puffers really need two individual tanks. Both of them are brackish water, but the f8 is low brackish 1.003-1.005 and the gsp will need full marine when he grows up. A few years of success isn't a good measuring stick because both of these puffers are full capable of living 10-15 years if not kept in a community tank and with the correct conditions.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store