Yes.. Another Angelfish Stocking Question (29 Gallon)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Longboard Fish

Registered Member
Apr 27, 2012
Real Name
Luc
Hello, this is my very first post here on AC, although I have used it alot without an account before. Very exciting. Anyways, I currently have a 29 gallon aquarium with a single juvie Angelfish inside. I have about 6 or 7 tall fake plants, 4 medium ones, and 6 small ones along with a small homemade rock shelter in the back using river stones, so it is a heavily (fake) planted tank, but heavily planted nonetheless. I'm running an AquaClear 55 filter along with the stock filter that came with the original set which is an Aqueon Quietflow 30 filter along with a 150 watt Aqueon heater and standard fluorescent lighting. Oops, I forgot to add I also have sand as a substrate.

Now that the specs are out of the way, I was trying to decide how to stock the tank. I would only keep the solitary angelfish, meaning no more angelfish buddies however I was interested in adding a Golden Gourami (color variant on the Blue or Three-Spot Gourami), perhaps some Silver or Marble Hatchetfish, and some Corydoras catfish (Pygmy or Panda). I would also be willing to take new ideas, and I am open to a completely different stocking, however I would appreciate if the plans used multiple levels of the aquarium as opposed to all bottom feeders or top dwellers.

Thanks in advance!

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
1 Angel fish 1 Groumie 6 to 8 corydora *catfish* and 6 to 8 schooling fish ( depending on what you like? but no neons or jumbo neons )

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
gouramis and angels usually dobt get along. id do this
1-angelfish
8-marble hatchets
6-corys

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cicrush13

AC Members
Oct 4, 2010
Detroit
Real Name
Steve
The hatchets will hang at the top and the cories will be at the bottom, what's in the middle?

I would do 4-6 hatchets, 4-6 cory cats and 6-8 rummynose tetra to add some life to the tank and make it revolve around the angel.

The golden gourami can get aggressive in a tank that small, however a dwarf gourami would be ok, you would just have to remove some other livestock for it.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I have cories in with my angelfish and they do awesome together. I also have a couple killifish at the top of the watercolumn to fill the tank up. Just a thought.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I would go:

6 hatchets (top)
1 angel (middle)
6 corys (bottom)

or

4-6 hatchets
1 angel
6 corys
6 rummys

Maybe throw a small bn pleco into the mix for kicks.

$0.02.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Hi!

First off, welcome to AC! :D

Your tank sounds very pretty :) As for stocking, as long as you get a FEMALE gold gourami, you probably would be okay with the angelfish and gourami. For the gold, opaline, blue, and three spot gouramis, the main thing with them is not having more than one in smaller tanks (i.e 29 gallons) and even in a tank as big as a 55, you still only want 2 or 3 max, because they can get to be very grouchy as they get older. (I had 3 blue- 2 m 1 f, and 2 golds-2f in my 55 gallon, ended up seperating the blues and golds because they fought so much darn much, the golds did wonderfully in a seperate 55 gallon with my angelfish, nothing but a little minor chasing)

From my experience, the golds are more peaceful. So get a female gold (or you could probably do a male, I'd recommend a female though) gourami and one angelfish. The angelfish seem to be more midwater, the gourami would be more top water/midwater (mine always hung up at the top or the middle, usually top though).

For cories, if you go with the dwarfs, get 8, but if you want to go with the pandas (which I would do, since the dwarfs are so tiny and peaceful and being with the angelfish and gold gourami just bothers me, it probably is okay though, I'll wait for someone else to step in) then do 6 :)

Another concern with the gold gourami is that they might get to be too aggressive with the hatchets, mine were peaceful to other fish though. Just something to consider, a dwarf gourami would be better for your tank. If you go the dwarf route, you could have:
~angelfish
~a dwarf gourami
~6 hatchetfsh6
~ panda cories
~and 5-6 of some midwater schooler that stays around 2" (cherry barbs, larger tetras, etc.)

Hope this helps! :)

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
Yes, I forgot to welcome you to the AC.

Longboard Fish

Registered Member
Apr 27, 2012
Real Name
Luc
I would go:

6 hatchets (top)
1 angel (middle)
6 corys (bottom)

or

4-6 hatchets
1 angel
6 corys
6 rummys

Maybe throw a small bn pleco into the mix for kicks.

$0.02.
Thanks this is what I had in mind, however I'm still debating what kind of tetra to get but I was leaning towards Rummynose.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store