Getting Rid of the Ich

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
This is the second outbreak of ich I have had in my tank. The first outbreak happened when I did not notice that my thermometer was broken for a day or two and the temperature plummited. But, I treated the ich with Tetra Lifeguard and it when right away. Now it is about a month later and "it" has struck again. But this time it is being very resistant to treatment. I am doing 25-50% water changers daily. I have my temperature up to 86. I have extra air on for the heat oxygren imbalance. I am treating with Tetra Lifeguard, Pima and Melafix and still the ich is hanging on. It is one of my favorite tanks too... it has my RAMS in it. It seems like the smaller, more delicate blue Ram has it the worst. I has been about 5 days, do I just need to be more patient, should I add salt? I don't know what else I can do?

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
I don't know anything about Tetra Lifeguard. How long does it say to treat for? I believe that 16 days is necessary to get through the life cycle of the parasite.

I've used Seachem ParaGuard for ich. It's fish-safe but doesn't claim to be invert-safe. My amanos, palmata shrimp, MTS and pond snails have all been fine, however. If you have kuhlis or other "scaleless" fish that are super sensitive you could try it partial strength. Btw, some people say it stains silicone etc. Hasn't happened in my tank.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I don't have any scaleless fish. If it doesn't clear up soon, I am going to switch medications. I guess I can try what you used, I really have only used tetra lifeguard and thi blue stuff once before which did stain my tank. I hope it clears up soon.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
First, I would quit using the Pimafix and Melafix as Ich is a protazoa and neither will do anything to help.( I won't get into the debate they are snake serum's or not). I've never used Tetra Lifeguard as the only time I had ich I treated with heat/salt taking into consideration the sensitivity of the tanks occupants to salt when dosing.
Secondly read this
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forum...isease-Guide&p=1657382&viewfull=1#post1657382

Could you be more specific about this tank, size, filtration, maintenance, occupants etc....

After we know more about specifics we can go from there.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
How are things going with your tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store