Current and my paladrium

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
I just bought a small turtle - not sure of the kind, but the PS owner told me it was a "slow growing" turtle (famous last words)!! and required both a water environmentIMG_5132.jpg and dry land. I have included a picture of Myrtle here for you to see. Please let me know if you know the exact kind of turtle. I have it in a half gallon water bottle turned sideways now. The bottle is rectangular and contoured in the middle, so half of it has water and half is dry. It is bigger than what most turtles start out it and will suffice for a while, while I prepare a nice home for him.

I am preparing a rectangular, shallow glass box, about 12" by 22" by 5" tall. If what the shopkeeper says is true, it is likely to be adequate for at least a year. My question (my first question) is how much current is comfortable for these kinds of turtles? As soon as I can identify the turtle I will create a land/aquatic portion based on the needs of the turtle. As of this time I don't know the depth of water the turtle will need/prefer but it is not likely to be more than 3 gallons in this new home. Will an airstone/pump be enough to circulate the water or should I install a small powerhead with the aerator attachment?

IMG_5132.jpg

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
uh...lol...I think thats a red-eared slider. They're very messy. I kept my pair in a 50b with a couple logs sticking out of the water for pullouts. Magnum 250 for filtration and weekly waterchanges. Also they were 5-7 inches across their shells in a couple years.

red devil

AC Members
Jan 7, 2003
Shenzhen, China
Visit site
In my little paladarium, what percentage water and land would you recommend? Do they like to swim more than bask and walk? or do they like land more than water? The pet sellers around here keep them in mostly dry environments but all of the webpages I have looked at put them in mostly aquatic environments with maybe 30% dry land.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
"Barring the larger exceptions, single adult male RES could do okay in a 75 gallon aquarium. Single large adult females need a minimum of a 125 gallon tank. This allows them decent room (quality of life) in addition to plenty of water to assist in good health and filtration. Basking areas can be made of dirt, sand, gravel, smooth rocks or flat rocks, driftwood or anything that will support their weight and is non-abrasive. Adult RES can be kept in smaller enclosures, but the setups tend to resemble cells with inmates." from that article.

this is very true.

This is very much what my tank was like until I realized I could never keep them into real adult hood and got rid of them...this is a 75gal from another member on this site
http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?208204-New-75-gallon-turtle-tank!
gertytank.jpg

gertytank.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store