Red worms coming out of fish anus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
I can't get a picture but I have had a look on the net to see what they are..... Camallanus worms are what I think they are, I need lots of help here people!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Oh man, these are nasty, don't even need a picture. Here's one of my rams who had them so bad he had a prolapse trying to pass them.

ramsick1.jpg

The entire tank will have to be treated with fenbendazole (dog dewormer Panacur), even fish who aren't showing them. Others have had good luck with levamisole, if you can find it.

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-worming-cat-worming-panacur-fenbendazole-wormers-c-17_43

My experience was with the Panacur granules, but I noticed they have a liquid now. That might be more water soluble and better for soaking their food, but I don't know the dosages for it. I don't think it's real critical to be exact, however.

This was for my 20 gallon tank with Bolivian Rams, a pleco, a ghost shrimp and a guppy, so adjust as necessary -

Do a water change first, then thaw a cube of bloodworms (or anything they'll eat) in some water with 1/2 gram (half a packet) of Panacur and perhaps a little garlic to disguise the taste, then pour the entire contents into tank. Feed them nothing but same medicated food for 4 days, but don't add more meds to the water. After 4 days do a water change and vacuum. It usually takes two treatments to eradicate completely, so repeat the treatment after two weeks time.

You may lose some fish anyway, but not necessarily. One of my rams who was infested is still with me, as is the shrimp and pleco. Good luck, Tony!

ramsick1.jpg

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
I have ordered leva(thingy) it arrives on Tuesday so will be dosing it Tuesday night! The fish were not showing any signs last night so I caught it early I hope. Wish me luck!

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
One thing I noticed was the worms were mainly visible when the fish was still or resting, but once the fish started moving they would retract back inside. Sneaky buggers!

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
You know this is really gross. I did not know fish could get worms like this. Now I'll know what they are if I see them. Yuck@!

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
Hopefully the Meds should arrive tomorrow!!! Then hopefully they will work!!!!

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Yeah it's really gross, and seems to be getting fairly common. Thing is, you can still quarantine and they might not show up until after. The fish usually show no signs of illness until suddenly you see those red worms coming out of their butts. My ram above was still eating and acting normally when I took that pic! Ultimately he didn't make it, but others did.

Lillyan

AC Members
Jan 26, 2010
Culpeper, VA
Should deworm the whole tank again in about 3 weeks for any that managed to survive the cleanup and reinfect.

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
Chanaverm has been administered..... Now the waiting game starts!

To3kn33

AC Members
Jul 3, 2010
London
Real Name
Tony
The worms are coming out these fish like crazy.... Poor Angels were rammed full of the horrible little beggars!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store