Whacky lady @ the LFS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DREW

um...um...um...Hmmmm
Jan 14, 2004
S.E. Michigan (U.S.A.)
OK
first this lady @ lfs tells me my SG on SW tank is too high.1.024.

Then I was looking @ cichlids & found 1 I liked asked her to get it. She asked what kinda of substartre I had , I said I used sand. She say you CAN NOT use sand in a cichlid tank. I thought they preferred sand ??
So, when she bags the fish it instantly goes belly up. She put it back in the tank & it didn't start swimming again till another fish bumped it , that was very odd I thought. She called her husband over ( owner) tells him bout the fish & tells him I have sand for substrate , then she turns to me & says sorry we're not gonna sell you any cichlids today. ?? was very weird & I think I will not be going back there.

drewdog

AC Members
Jan 8, 2003
S.E. Michigan
Visit site
Yeah , I thought she didn't know what she was talking about.

There are actually 5 or 6 other lfs within 30 miles from me , but not all carry the same stuff.
This one has corals & critters that no one else has, I guess I could go when she isn't there. lol

OH, 1 more thing, I have a 15 gal setup I wanna keep 2-3 small cichlids in. Now , I know this is really small & have no intention on overstoking it. But the lady suggested I crowd the fish., would that be a smart thing??? Isn't that overstocking?

PumaWard

In loving memory of Meeko
Jul 23, 2003
Vermont
Overcrowd, 15g, and cichlids? Time you find another LFS because this lady is giving you a ton of false information.

The whole sand thing... guess all my cichlids should be dead because sand is in every one of my tanks with them. It's most definately something they prefer and isn't going to hurt them.

As for cichlids for your 15g, a pair of blue rams would go well with some dithers (cardinals, glowlights) and maybe 2 or 3 otos.
You could also probably have a trio of lake tanganyikan shellies (the smaller ones, not sure of species) as the only tank inhabitants.

HTH

DREW

um...um...um...Hmmmm
Jan 14, 2004
S.E. Michigan (U.S.A.)
No the name is not Pruess.

I don't wanna bash the store it self cuz of one lady , though I think she's the owners wife ( i could be wrong there) but she call s him dear & hun.

Should I avoid Pruess ??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store