Amphipod breeding maybe

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
So I'm looking to get a butterfly fish... I have read they love amphipods and will devour them. I have a spare 10 gallon tank and I wanted some advice on how to start or if it's even a good idea.. I would buy a starter kit from ipsf.com

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
So I'm looking to get a butterfly fish... I have read they love amphipods and will devour them. I have a spare 10 gallon tank and I wanted some advice on how to start or if it's even a good idea.. I would buy a starter kit from ipsf.com

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Most displays that I know of don't need any help in the amphipod department. If you are interested in breeding them, it is exceedingly easy to do. The best way to do it is to simply get a few starter individuals from another system (friends, clubmembers, etc.) or from the LFS. Many LFSs may simply give them away. IPSF is great for certain types of inverts, but no need to spend the money on something as commonplace as amphipods. You can culture them on some Ulva macroalgae, along with some occasional food. Actually, any dense growing macroalgae works fine, but Ulva has the added advantage of being palatable and easier to eat. You can siphon out individuals or let them settle in certain areas/media and simply pour/shake them into the display.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store