SW Noob needing help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
I want to get a 55 gallon SW. I have mbuna cichlids right now with sand. I have really like snowflake moray eels, they ARE my FAVORITE fish/aquatic animal. Also I think lion fish are very cool, a fuzzy dwarf lion fish should be happy in a 55 gallon. I know what equipment there is and I would like to sve sure I have the right list. Can you make a list for a 55 gallon SW lion fish and snowflake moray eel. I am a 12 year old and I would like to have supplies by 5/7 (my birthday) and I will ask my parents for the fish for my birthday.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I want to get a 55 gallon SW. I have mbuna cichlids right now with sand. I have really like snowflake moray eels, they ARE my FAVORITE fish/aquatic animal. Also I think lion fish are very cool, a fuzzy dwarf lion fish should be happy in a 55 gallon. I know what equipment there is and I would like to sve sure I have the right list. Can you make a list for a 55 gallon SW lion fish and snowflake moray eel. I am a 12 year old and I would like to have supplies by 5/7 (my birthday) and I will ask my parents for the fish for my birthday.

I would add an overflow box, return pump and sump in there. I would say the eel would be pushing it in a 55. Your tank won't be ready for fish by your birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick
I know I would get fish later (possibly a month) but I wanted to know what supplies. From research a snowflake moray eel pretty much by itself in a 55 should be ok. It's when there are lots of other fish is when they have problems. Do you know of any other fish that could live with them, I'm fine if there isn't. I'm thinking about a sump or not, can you show me pictures of your setups with the filtration with or without a sump PLEASE. How hard is a FOWLR to maintain, how much will I spend on food. (my brother thought you could feed them flakes- he has NO clue)

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
I know I would get fish later (possibly a month) but I wanted to know what supplies. From research a snowflake moray eel pretty much by itself in a 55 should be ok. It's when there are lots of other fish is when they have problems. Do you know of any other fish that could live with them, I'm fine if there isn't. I'm thinking about a sump or not, can you show me pictures of your setups with the filtration with or without a sump PLEASE. How hard is a FOWLR to maintain, how much will I spend on food. (my brother thought you could feed them flakes- he has NO clue)

You're probably looking at least 5-600 bucks in supplies, sand, rock, skimmer heaters.

Fowlr is easy to maintain, if you have plenty of rock. You'll need several 5 gallon buckets, or a large trash can to make water for water changes. You'll need to get a refractometer too to measure specific gravity.

You could probably keep some damsels or chromis with the eel. May become snacks though.

I feed frozen food, a pack of cubes is anywhere between 5 and 10 bucks. I think you'll need fresh fish or squid for the eel though.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Real Name
Patrick
Ok... Any idea how a 12 year old can make 400 dollars in a month... Is there a cheaper option? Damsels won't work because I've seen at least 5 videos of lion fish eating them. At least my birthday is coming up :) I will be looking on Craigslist.

the wizard

Is it really Niko's fault?
Jan 28, 2010
Real Name
David
you can use a hydrometer but, they aren't as accurate as a refractometer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store