corys vs kuhli loaches?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

allaboutfish

AC Members
Jul 12, 2011
memphis, tn
Real Name
johnathon dunn
which are better for a planted tank or does it matter?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
It doesn't really matter IMO. You will need at least 6 kuhli loaches for them to be comfortable. Their bi load is a lot smaller.
Cories you will need at least 4, but 6 would be better. They get decent size and therefor their bioload is bigger. However they will also scavenge leftover food etc. They are both fun and nice addtions. I have kept both in same tank before....

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
I have both in my planted tank. 5 khuli's and 10 corys. The corys are more active and always out and doing their janitorial work. They hide out in the hygro forest when they rest. The khuli's stay tucked under a piece of driftwood or well hidden 80% of the time. I see them mostly at feeding time and water changes.

I say both are fine in a planted. Never the slightest bit of problem with either in the plants.

They both have interesting behavoirs. Khuli's are comical little critters. They "dance" during water changes, drape themselves over plants and it's always fun to "spot the khuli" in my tank. I love how busy my cory's are and I really enjoy watching their breeding behavoirs. I've never saved eggs yet because..well...i'm lazy. But if I'm up early enough after sunrise to watch it..it's fascinating. The other fish enjoy it because they get eggs for breakfast.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It can depend on the tank size, a bunch dwarf cories would be nicer in a smaller tank than either kuhlis or regular cories. I would keep at least 6 of any 1 species but more is always good if you have the room.

Micah1

AC Members
May 1, 2012
I also say Corydoras. What I like about them as well is that they are small. Also, kuhli loaches tend ot be nocturnal so you will most likely not see them during the day.
[h=1][/h]

jasonG75

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
Memphis, TN
I have both in my planted tank. 5 khuli's and 10 corys. The corys are more active and always out and doing their janitorial work. They hide out in the hygro forest when they rest. The khuli's stay tucked under a piece of driftwood or well hidden 80% of the time. I see them mostly at feeding time and water changes.
Same here with my khuli's

kcartwright856

AC Members
Mar 8, 2012
Millersburg, PA
www.facebook.com
Real Name
KC
I am terribly, terribly biased, but I have to vote for kuhli loaches.

Mine are out constantly, day and night, dancing their little hearts out. They love plants and they're good for a little clean-up, but aren't an excuse to overfeed.

If you keep them in a large enough group (6+) with enough hiding spots and shaded areas, they'll be out! I've thought about setting up a webcam for my kuhlis because no one believes me!

They have great personalities and they're so fun to watch. Great little additions to planted tanks.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Khuli's seem too small to me in tanks larger than 20g, corys are much nicer looking and more active than khuli's too IMO

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store