37 Gal - what to stock?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

agp

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
USA
Hey guys, I'm picking up a 37 gallon tank soon, and I would like some non-micro, non-disc/angel, and hardy cichlids. What would you recommend and how many of each can I afford to house?

bettalover77

AC Members
May 27, 2010
Real Name
Alex
well, it depends on the dimensions. You could put some dwarf mbuna such as Cynotilapia afra or Psuedotropheus saulosi/polit/demasoni in there if it is longer/wider than it is tall
if not well maybe bolivian rams if they aren't considered Micro

good luck!

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
Pair of convicts/HRP or some shell dwellers with topwater schooling fish would be my choice. Keep in mind how tall this tank is, and how a 40breeder or 30breeder would better suit cichlids due to it's larger footprint.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
How about a pair of
Dwarf Tanganyikan Cichlid ~ (Blue-Faced) Duboisi Cichlid

They start out polka dotted white and black, and turn into black purple and white.

agp

AC Members
Aug 8, 2010
USA
Definitely no shell dwellers for me, and no skinny and long cichlids either. I like the muscle car equivalent of fishes - big and full-sized. It will not be planted. Mainly just sand and rocks.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
gonna be hard to have "big and full-sized" cichlids in a 37 gallon. I would say apistos, german blue rams, bolivian rams, kribs, pair of convicts, firemouths (which may actually fit your bill....fun and pretty and decent size). That is about all I can think of right now that would go in that size tank.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
The firemouth's came to my mind also. If you were wanting something a little more peaceful that could be a centerpiece for a community tank, what about a couple keyholes(Cleithracara maronii)? They remind me of puppies lol, slow growing puppies at that too. Probably want at least some fake plants, places to hide and a school of larger tetras or such. They are a rather shy and peaceful cichlid that stays smallish for S American(5" or so).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store