muchroom coral

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sbazain

sbazain
Apr 4, 2012
miami
Real Name
sergio bazain
been noticing that my muchroom corals close up when the temp reaches 80 now when the temp is at around 76,77 they open more my question is what do i do when I put different corals this are my first , the tank is a 30 gallon with a 14 gl sump

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
How much time goes by for the temp fluctuations? Does this happen over the course of a day? 76 is on the low and 80 is on the high end of "acceptable" but neither should be a problem IF the temp is kept somewhat stable. However a 4 to 5 degree daily swing is something you need to correct.

sbazain

sbazain
Apr 4, 2012
miami
Real Name
sergio bazain
yes at night it drops to around 76,77 and then goes up to 80 all day when i come home from work around 11 at night it's still at 80 then it starts dropping when the lights go off maybe my heater can't keep the temp stable. I have the heater in the sump I did notice that the heater wont keep the temp where i set it or maybe is to small isn't the temp in the dt the same as in the sump

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Sounds like your lighting is raising the temp during the daytime light cycle you running MH? Any type of cover on the tank? Clip on cooling fans can help keep the temp down a bit put them on a timer with the lights.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I would be a little concerned with the heater. Is it a Marineland Stealth by chance?

The temp itself isn't the problem, it's the daily swing that is stressing your corals. I wouldn't add any stoney corals to the tank until you get this resolved.

sbazain

sbazain
Apr 4, 2012
miami
Real Name
sergio bazain
I have a 24 watt 10,000k and a 420 actinic t5's and no I don't have a cover as a matter of fact two of my fishes have jumped out a gobby and a clown I don't know why the clown I know the gubby wanted to be an airplane instead of a fish but any ways I might have to put a cover of some kind, that might help me too with the heat during the day what do you suggest

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I wouldn't use a solid cover like glass simply because they are a pian and will be covered in salt creep daily. A window screen frame and some 1/4" netting seems to be the norm in the hobby and they do work well. I would make the screen top and buy a better or multiple heaters (even better if you can add a controller to the mix) to stabilize the temp. Your T5's should not be contributing that much to your temp fluctuations unless this is a tiny tank. Bulk Reef Supply sells the screen for the tops. The Digital Aquatics Reefkeeper Lite is $99 and comes with a temp probe.

sbazain

sbazain
Apr 4, 2012
miami
Real Name
sergio bazain
the tank is a 30 gl for now. A'm doing the screen this weekend and yes is a good idea about the timers also today started to switch off the sump light during the day to see how the fluctuation is maybe that will help too , thanks for all the advise like I say is always good to learn from the masters

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
If you have a flood light on the sump, turning it off during the day should help quite a bit. Good luck, hope it all works out!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store