Our first fish tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neatfish

AC Members
May 1, 2012
My Bat Cave somwhere in TX
Well me and my wife decided to get us our fist fish tank over the weekend. I though I would join this forum to get ideas since we are new to this. I set the tank up after everything was clean for it. We will want to start with fresh water fish because we don't know much about salt water fish yet. We are going to wait a few week before we put fish in the tank. We don't want gold fish or guppies, I was thinking maybe some glow-fish not really sure if it's a fresh water fish. We just don't want to over stock the tank like a bunch of people do when they don't read about this stuff. Here is the tank it's only a 10g starter tank.

H2Ogal

Betta Be Good to Me
Mar 16, 2010
Memphis, TN
Real Name
Deborah
You can have a lot of fun with a 10g tank ... and it looks like you already are!

Be sure to read the stickies about at the top of the forum page so you can properly cycle your tank (which builds up the beneficial bacteria colony you need to have a healthy tank) and select your fish. You can search the forums for previous discussions on many topics. And, of course, ask lots of questions!

Callmeconfused

The sad effect of sleep deprivation
Jul 25, 2010
Gainesville, Florida
Real Name
Kimi
I like it :) You're already doing a lot better than most by not immediately stocking the tank. You do need to cycle the tank before you stock it. Here is a thread that should help with that. http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?84598-Freshwater-cycling

Glofish are freshwater. I've never had any danios, so I'm not sure on space requirement. I'm sure someone else can help you with that one.

Oh, and welsome to the beginning of the rest of your life...these things are addictive. The more you learn, the more tanks you want!

AquaPeanut

AC Members
Apr 23, 2012
Warren, MI
I have 3 Glo Fish and 2 Sunset Variatus in mine, and they all seem really happy. :)

Neatfish

AC Members
May 1, 2012
My Bat Cave somwhere in TX
Thanks I will have to take a trip to our local fish store and ask questions. I'm sure they might not know nothing and try to lie to me just to make a sale.

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Just keep in mind that glofish are genetically altered danios. And may not be in the best of health for their entire life.

If you want a school of fish, neon tetras would go great with your tank. I would probably do a school of 4 or 5 personally. But over the years they have been breed a lot, so they are not as hardy as they used to be. But with my experience, they are pretty easy to keep healthy.

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
I like what you are doing with your tank, namely cycling it first. Welcome to the AC.

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
great tank, i would just upgrade the filter to a aquatech 10-20, for better filteration.. and i would get 6 neons 6 dwarf corydoras ( smaller verson of corys ) and a dwarf groumie :)

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I luv the aircraft carrier ! Welcome to the site, and good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store