TANK IDEAS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

imamazeing

AC Members
Apr 28, 2012
canada
i have a new 20 gal tank that i would like to use for a African cichlid tank any ideas?:goldfish:

stormywendyann

AC Members
Apr 21, 2012
Westchester, CA
Real Name
Wendy Lubianetsky
How about a couple
Dwarf Tanganyikan Cichlid ~ (Blue-Faced) Duboisi Cichlid

They start out as juveniles really cute black and white dotted mini dolphins and grow into a purple, black, and white beautiful fish. Other than that a pair of RAMS or Bolivian Rams would be nice. Congratulations on the new tank. You know everyone is going to want pictures.

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
Blue faces get way big for a 20. I thought they get to 5"?

I would do some Shellie's:) I have multis in my 20 long and there very entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
The only rift lake cichlids I would think about putting in a 20 would be some shellies.I still want a shellie tank....sigh, other projects 1st though.
For soft water africans, one of the Pelvicachromis species would do ok in there. Other options would be Anomolochromis thomasi( african butterfly cichlid) or a species of Pseudocrenilabrus, say nicholsi(mouth-brooding dwarfs ).

mykidsmylife

Princess of Peons
Aug 26, 2005
Indiana, U.S.A.
Blue faces get way big for a 20. I thought they get to 5"?

I would do some Shellie's:) I have multis in my 20 long and there very entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I, too, thought blue faces get up to 5". They do grow slowly, but still..that's some big fish for a 20g. That, and they do tend to get nasty towards each other which is why it's always suggested to keep them in larger groups to spread out aggression. I think 2 in a 20 would just beat the heck out of each other. I've never kept the species myself but I've helped maintain tanks with them in it, so take it for what that's worth.

I too vote for shell dwellers if cichlids are what you are after.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
The only option you have right now is a Tanganyika shell dweller setup preferred Neolamprologus multifasciatus aka Multies, do a light sand substrate with a lot of shells, escargot shells work fine and throw a few pieces of smaller size Texas holey rock and you will love the colony style of life with these guys..

20gal tall or long is way too small for anything Malawi, there are a few more shell dwellers but Multies will be your best bet..

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
i would either do multis ( shell dwellers. i have some, and they are awesome ) or juliedocromis ( rock dwellers, so you would need bunch of rocks piled )

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
shellies for sure, nothing else will fit in there without killing each other eventually.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store