BN Pleco Growth Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
actually wondering the same thing. got 6 BN growing out. 1 is already the bigger one ( cause i had it first before the other 5 ) so a good thread..

GottaBetta

AC Members
Apr 22, 2012
Virginia, USA
Real Name
Amber
Haha yeah I recently got two young albino bn's from the pet store and I'm getting suspicious that one is female (I know the bigger one is male already) just because it's smaller and seems feminine? Kinda hoping it's male though, I don't need babies right now o.o

livebearerfreak

you are hypnotized! LOL
May 31, 2005
fairchild wi 54741
Real Name
douglas harvey
how big are they? one of mine is about 2.5 and starting to get the bristles ( they gross me out but at the same time look awsome! ) my smallest bn is ALMOST 1 inch.

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
I've got a common BN female and an L183 male, the female certainly grows faster, but she's also a much much more common and hearty species.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
Growth rate isn't necessarily an indication of sex, I've seen some of both sexes grow faster than others from the same brood of fry.

constevens

AC Members
Sep 7, 2011
Colorado
Real Name
Conway
The females normally dont get larger bristles or will have zero bristles at all. The Females can grow faster or slower, No growth rate will determine sex. Females do have a bulkier look to them especially in the width.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
I would say that my red ancistrus breeding pair grew at about the same rate, although my female is much larger than the male. Good luck.

GottaBetta

AC Members
Apr 22, 2012
Virginia, USA
Real Name
Amber
how big are they? one of mine is about 2.5 and starting to get the bristles ( they gross me out but at the same time look awsome! ) my smallest bn is ALMOST 1 inch.
My biggest is just over 1.5 and the smaller one is noticeably smaller and they both eat well (I watch them like a pro stalker)

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
i have three juvenile bn plecos (two male, one female) and i have noticed the two males getting larger while the female hasn't grown much lately. they were born just shy of a year ago.

what has to do the most with fish growth is genetics (biggest factor), the size of the tank, the quality of the water, and the quality of the food given IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store