hot glue gun glue. aquarium safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JesseJ

You should be dancin'
Jan 22, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
It really depends on the type of glue. I'm not sure whats in glue gun sticks so I can't tell you whether its safe or not. The three top glue choices are silicone, epoxy, and crazy glue with silicone being the best, IMO, choice you have. Be sure that it is pure silicone and not mildew resistant like tub and tile silicone. Door and Window silicone is usually the one to go with but read the labels and they will say if its got additives.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Depends on the type of glue. Some of them are not aquarium safe. Some of them contain anti mildewcides/algacides that are not safe. If it says it's 100% silicone with not additives, it's safe.

Personally, I just get a tube of the 100% silicone sealant. Safer.

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
But silicone is a very poor cement for many materials under water. While it is quite useful, if I had to pick a best, it would likely be epoxy. The choice would really depend on the application.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Make sure to pick an appropriate epoxy. Many of the cheap 5 minute ones will fail in warm water in a realitively short period of time. There are some great marine epoxies available at many hardware stores.

karfixer

AC Members
Dec 3, 2002
So. Cal
Visit site
I've used hot glue on my "ghetto" DIY hood and it is safe, but it isn't really very good for underwater. The materials need to have a fairly open/rough structure for the glue to adhere well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store