Standpipe mod suggestions?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pherball

AC Members
Apr 2, 2012
So I'm building my first reef tank (yay!). It is 100g and I'm building an overflow/false wall in the back. It will be about 40 inches long and have the heater in it. I want water to circulate evenly around the heater so I don't think a single drain would do the trick. I like the idea of a quiet drain so I thought I could mod the Durso to work for my situation. I haven't tried it yet and I was hoping to get some opinions on whether it will work or not. Here's my doodle:<br />
<br />
It would be two inlets on a cross connector with the cap and adjustable air check valve at the top. Max flow, max silence, max circulation. Will it work??

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I don't see why it wouldn't.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Same here. Worse case, you buy more PVC and try again :).

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
I dont know if this will be a problem for you or not but when I made my first durso, the part where the airline valve that is inserted at the top of the pvc was making a hell of a whistle. It didn't seem like I could just adjust the cap to let more air in or out without screwing up the waterflow.

Adding a piece of airline tubing into the pvc at the top and then inserting the airline valve into the tubing did wonders. But again, I dont know if it will even be a problem for you, just something to try in case it does.

Pherball

AC Members
Apr 2, 2012
I read about the air hiss. I was thinking if I put a dry sponge over the air valve it should quiet the whistle. I was thinking a clown nose would work perfectly. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
+1 to the airline tubing in lieu of the valve. Depending on how much flow you have running through your drain, adjusting the depth of the line into the drain and or increasing the diameter of the tubing used can get a drain darn near silent.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store