>$40 a bag aragonite for only $2.57<

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JerkyBob

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
Dunn, NC
Visit site
Yeap, you heard right; the same sand you pay 40 bux for at the lfs is only $2.57 at Walmart. It is put out by OldCastle and they sell it under the name of "Garden Basics" play sand. So now you can buy yourself that nice expensive set of lights youve been drooling over.......

Jerky Bob :dance

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Ummm...yeah...And it used to be marketed as Southdown. Sorry, but this isn't really new info. :)

JerkyBob

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
Dunn, NC
Visit site
I didnt say it was news for you veterans but only meant that maybe some of the newbies didnt know it. I believe this is the newbies forum. And if I can help save people money why not tell them where they can get it. Didnt mean to come inside your bubble.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
We veterans mention this each time we encourage someone to setup a sand bed. Sorry--I really wasn't trying to be rude.

knowthemath

AC Members
Feb 16, 2004
Virginia
Visit site
I posted a couple of weeks ago about aragonite sand in SW VA. Unfortunately, Wallie-World did not have there gardening supplies out yet. This morning I stopped by and there it was ...... Old Castle Sand under the Wal-Mart name.

There's several newbies in Bluefield that appreciate your post.;)

Turbo

Im going crazy
Dec 1, 2002
Minnesota, USA
Visit site
I did the same thing. Read this post last night and went to Wallie-world at 1:00 this morning. They didnt have all of there garden stuff out either and no sand. Ill just have to keep a lookout. How so you know it is from Old Castle? Does it say it on the bag somewhere? Could someone post a pic of their tank with this sand in it? Just curious.

JerkyBob

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
Dunn, NC
Visit site
thanks for the great replies, all except onion girls that is. As a fellow newbie myself I try and find the best deals out there and if I can help any of you I will do my darndest. I have put my bed between 3-4 inches deep, but one of the vets on here can tell you better the whys and so forth about bacteria. Anyhow this is a great place to learn about this exciting hobby. I do know that onion girl and a couple of other people tell us to use the sand but not all lowes and home depots have it. Walmart on the other hand will probably carry it because of their shipping lanes across the country. and oh yeah greetings to you too sfxer02. :)

The 1 the only: The Jerky Bob:dance

JerkyBob

AC Members
Mar 14, 2004
Dunn, NC
Visit site
also with the old castle sand you will probably want to mix in some live sand from the lfs or cycled substrate from a fellow aquarists tank. I believe about 20 %. At least that is what I did. And last but not least I also put a diy plenum in my tank underneath all the sand a very cool project that is if you like playing with pvc and fiberglass screen:D

The Jerky Bob

knowthemath

AC Members
Feb 16, 2004
Virginia
Visit site
The bag says Old Castle with there PA address directly under the Wal-mart address.

I put a live sand activator from GARF www.garf.org in with my sand. These guys were great. They are not big on DSB, but I've talked with others who have bought GARF's Grunge and were quite pleased with the DSB combined with the Grunge activator. Unfortunately, I paid quite a bit more for my aragonite sand than what I would have had to pay if I had waited a couple of weeks.:( Such is life. I guess this is where we say that we have to just roll with the tide.:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store