Setting up a Tanganyika tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

trachr

AC Members
May 3, 2012
I am setting up a few new 55g tanks which will have leleupi in 1 and julis in another... I have had julis for years now and never had issues breeding them however I have never done a few things I am thinking of trying in this tank. I also am going to set up a few 20 gal ocellatus tanks (shell dwellers) and then changing either 1 of my 55 or my 75 from juli to trophs.

Now that you know what I plan on having in my tanks a few questions on setting them up. In the past I always used crushed coral as substrate which helped with ph...

This time I would like to use sand... I can always put the crushed coral into a bag and stick it in the filter if needed but for the troph and shell dwellers especially I want sand... and I think either black or white sand will help make colors pop better.

So first question.. color of sand I know for the leleupis they say lighter is better due to black pigments they have in their coloring. but what about trophs, ocellatus, and julis would black work ok for those? I like the look of black sand so trying to decide which fish to use in my black tank(s)

Next question... Ive never had a planted tank so has anyone had the above fish in a planted tank or does any have a issue with plants? Id imagine the ocellatus would uproot the plants so probably ferns but figured Id get some advice from people who know.

Also... and this question would probably be better in the planted section but it is related to the above questions... I plan on using silica sand (black diamond etc) does it matter what kind of potting soil you use under the soil or would plant root tabs work in only silica sand? Also if I use white or grey sand how do you hide the potting soil since obviously they are different colors.

And my final question... since I haven't used sand before Should I get some sort of a snail to mix of the sand? I know mbuna would eat the snails but will I have the same issue with the fish I plan on getting? My gut says probably but figured id ask also.

I think that's all of my questions for now... thanks for helping :)

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
If you want a good grade sand you can go with Caribsea sands there a little more expensive but are nice true sands compared to those fake silica sands plus they have some black sand, the hardest part is finding it usually a Reef specialty store will have it..

As for sand turn over with snails you either love it or don't but once introduced you will have a bunch i will not do it ever again well at least on purpose that is..

Plants are going to be limited in what you want to do in a Tanganyika setup, I currently use Anubias nana and other varieties of Anubias plants with great success also java ferns will work but the Anubias in my opinion look far better..

I would not put potting soil in any African tank with sand i will assure you that you will regret that decision due to the digging behavior of these fish, if you stick with the attaching plants like Anubias and Java ferns or moss you will not need it, as for the substrate plants most likely will be uprooted..

Texas Holey rock is great for anchoring Anubias or ferns and will be attractive..

Welcome to AC..

WildForFish

AC Members
Jul 13, 2008
California
I have several Tang tanks, each planted with variations of the following plants:

Cryptocoryne: Wendtii Red, Spiralis

Java Fern: Needle, Narrow leaf

Anubias: several variations

Bacopa Monnieri- only able to maintain in two of eight tanks - but growing beautifully in those two.

( I use Dolomite as a substrate. )

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store